Musk wants Twitter to pivot to video

Originally published at: Will Twitter pivot to video?

6 Likes

20 Likes

I’m not a tech expert but it seems like switching to video content over text would increase Twitter’s server needs by many orders of magnitude while simultaneously repositioning the company into an already-saturated social media niche. But of course he’s the business genius so I’m sure he thought all this and every other aspect of the decision through before committing to it.

28 Likes

Hidden footage of Musk from the meeting where it was discussed.

spill hear GIF

30 Likes

begging your pardon, sir, but perchanceth you misplaced a “/s”?

The whole ‘Elon is a SUPERJEENIUS!’ thing was wrung out ages ago.

2 Likes

Tell that to all his overzealous fanboys…

8 Likes

We really really don’t need to see the Nazis.

12 Likes

If your business strategy has its own “faddish business trend” Wikipedia page, you might want to reconsider.

15 Likes

Wasn’t everybody supposed to pivot to video, like, 5 years ago?

8 Likes

Yeah, it’s interesting. I think of myself as primarily a text based information person but I do watch video, just not much of it and mainly the sort of thing which actually works as video rather than text or diagrams. Like how to unblock the U bend of your kitchen sink.

I’ve never listened to any podcasts, though.

Maybe Xitter could pivot to wax coated tablets?

4 Likes

Depends on the context:

IMG_0328

8 Likes

I like how he begged Mr Beast to post his videos to Twitter, and he was like, “Even if I got a billion views on Twitter, I’d still lose money.”

12 Likes

Nowhere near as much money as Musk lost on Twitter, but still.

9 Likes

I thought it was going to be a Nazi-flavoured financial platform with a sideline as a dating app for the worst people in society?

7 Likes

It’s the Nothing App.

12 Likes

I’ll call it X when it doesn’t say twitter.com at the top of the screen

(hell, even then I won’t)

8 Likes

The funny thing is, beyond the whole “pivot to video!” nonsense, is that video on Twitter is terrible (very limited duration, heavily compressed, rudimentary controls, unsearchable), and it’s only become worse since Elno took over (playback delays, glitches, outright outages). Which means either he’s so mercurial he only recently decided to go with video, which means he’s just cluelessly flailing around, or this has been his plan the whole time, and he’s still only managed to make video worse.

I sort of imagine it went down something like this…
Twitter management: “This morning Elon gave me the new document laying out the future for Twitter. Here you are.”
Twitter employees: “It’s a cocktail napkin. It appears to say, ‘more boobs videos’.”
Twitter management, shrugging: “Well, he was pretty stoned at the time.”

But that was the old vision for Twitter… from, like, a week ago.

Fair. Even Elno doesn’t call it “X,” outside the site itself. (I suppose he realizes that if he did, no one would know what he was talking about.)

7 Likes

Tiktok was worth about 50 billion in 2022, back when Musk set his money and Twitter on fire. In an alternate timeline, Musk holds sway over so many youngster’s eyeballs, and every third video is him either dancing or saying something horrible.

4 Likes

He’d have fucked that place up too. It’d be worth eleventy leven cents by now.

8 Likes

Musk has said he’s fine with users being deadnamed on his platform. He even had the TOS changed so this was no longer explicitly disallowed. With that in mind, it’s only right that we should continue calling his platform Twitter.

8 Likes