Musk's Twitter to bring back Trump

In other words, the free marketplace worked and all these right-wing talking points about social media “silencing conservative voices” is actually a bunch of bullshit? Because that’s basically what he’s saying. Stick to the narrative, Musk!

Also FTA:

He said the result could be a forum that is “frankly worse,” where debate becomes splintered rather than unified on a platform he has described as a “de facto town square.”

There you have it. Hate speech and its ilk are fine, nay, encouraged as they are considered “debate” worthy of equal consideration.

Musk said Trump’s move to his own social media platform, Truth Social, was evidence of the failure of the permanent ban.

Trump moving to “his own” social media platform is a failure… so says the guy who is trying to buy Twitter so he can own a social media platform. Does he realize how ridiculous this sounds?

“Banning Trump from Twitter didn’t end Trump’s voice — it will amplify it from the right,” he said. “This is why it is morally wrong and flat-out stupid.”

So, Trump’s ban from Twitter actually amplified his voice? Then why would he want to come back? This doesn’t make sense.

What’s his point? There is none. He’s just trying to gin up more attention.

26 Likes

and did not ultimately result in Donald Trump not having a voice.

Actually, yes, yes it did.
It turned the flippin’ volume way down.

20 Likes

This is my surprised face.

:neutral_face:

I’ll be over at Mastodon, until the Nazis fuck that one up too.

18 Likes

So I haven’t been seeing all those vomitous press releases?

5 Likes

Ba-Ha-Ha-Haaaaaaaa!!! Thanks. I haven’t laughed that hard in a long time!!!

1 Like

Well, if you wanted me to abandon twitter that’d do it.

Unban Trump and i’ll drop twitter instantly…

I was previously uncertain regarding the twitter aquisition, but thats a clear line in the sand i can’t overlook.

14 Likes

Well, technically it didn’t result in Tromp not having a voice. What it did do is greatly reduce the reach of his voice, in effect shrinking it.

That’s a point worth making, because it obliterates the free speech claim that Tromp and everyone else should be able to spew whatever falsehoods they like, wherever they like.

No, owners of venues have a right, even a “moral” obligation, to keep certain kinds of speech off their platforms.

Oh how I wish some journalists would ask what he’s planning to do about Tweeters who advocate, say, child rape? Because, say, it’s good for discipline or something. Would THAT be okay with you, Elon? No? Then where do you draw the line? What about pushing fake medicines that you have a stake in, and profit from, or inciting an insurrection?

16 Likes

Who knows what will happen before the deal closes. I might die. Musk might die. Trump might die. And perhaps the horse will learn to sing.

5 Likes

I’ve logged out of everything with the start of the acquisition. If it fails, I’ll log back in. If it doesn’t account is getting deleted.

Unbanning of Trump with or without acquisition is immediate deletion too.

8 Likes

Yes, though it’s kinda scary really how few to no viable alternatives that offer Twitter’s massive reach come to mind.

8 Likes

I burned my account the day Musk took over for exactly this reason.

3 Likes

I’ve set up on Mastadon, though I’m not really following anyone there yet. It remains to be seen if Musk can complete the purchase. Some folks are talking about another one (built on the Mastadon software platform) called Counter Social, but I feel less comfortable with that one. The person running it just gives me the wrong vibe. Nothing concrete.

Mostly I’ll probably just come here once in a while to talk to you very intelligent, intellectually stimulating folks and probably beg off the rest of social media. I don’t think it’s done society any good, to be honest.

9 Likes

It’s a failure because when a whole bunch of Trump minions leave for an alternative, it’s harder to gather and consolidate the collected personal data they wish to sell. Much easier if everyone is dependent on one platform.

On an unrelated topic: it is relatively easy to host your own ActivityPub service (Mastodon being the most popular, but there’s also Pleroma and others). For Mastodon, all you need is a domain name, a server, and the time to install nginx + postgres + a typical ruby webapp. Hey @orenwolf, if you’re bored…

8 Likes

Won’t be long now.

7 Likes

Nazi Mastodons??

Scared Uh Oh GIF by Boomerang Official

12 Likes

Exactly. These markets are only valuable because of the mass user base. Once the user base fragments, they become far less appealing to investors. Which, good, let them be fragmented. Consolidated markets have proven easily attacked with false information campaigns and their algorithms spiked with misinformation.

Musk bringing Trump back is going to drive away droves of people and Twitter is going to go down like a flaming pinata under his ownership.

7 Likes

Advertisers aren’t going to hang around long if Space Karen and the Mango Mussolini turns it into even more of a hellscape.

And they pay 90% of Twitter’s bills.

12 Likes

I think that if Trump had been banned from twitter months before the 2020 election he would have eked out a win.

Food for thought.

1 Like

lol, pure gold!

2 Likes

Those I know of have been hard blocked. Pleroma which I like is sadly led to a major presence of them to the point that established Federated servers have blocked all access from Pleroma servers.

3 Likes