Musk's Twitter to bring back Trump

I’m not finding that food very nutritious.

Why, pray tell, do you think that?

3 Likes

I really don’t use my account, so it’ll be no loss to cancel it, but I’m sticking around long enough to tell Trump he belongs in prison.

4 Likes

The more he talked, the more unstable and dangerous he sounded. Hard to polish his image when he runs around with a megaphone.

You don’t need fancy AI, filters, or anything. Studies have shown that 90% of the bile comes from a very small group of people on Twitter. Banning a couple dozen is all that is required to clean the place up.

The reason I love BB so much is that it’s one of the few places left that understands the value of basic moderation. All communities require moderation for quality conversation. This has always been true. Web 2.0 tech companies all decided to forget that and now everyone has to relearn it.

19 Likes

I did laugh, not gonna lie, but yeah. They’ll find it and ruin it. They’re why we can’t have nice things.

9 Likes

I just think that playing account ban whack-a-mole is not the way to stop the 90%, fancy AI is. It just needs to be controlled by the the user.

AI has proven to very bad at that. Facebook has tried every version of automated moderation and none of it works. It’s also riddled with racial and queer biases.

What you call “whack a mole” is just basic community quality control. I’m sorry, but it’s naive to think “AI” can somehow solve this. Twitter could literally fix this problem in an hour by banning two dozen people. That’s not “whack a mole”.

12 Likes

When those users result in the attack of others by a large group, per user controls don’t cut it.

1 Like

then don’t the banned users just spin up a different account? That’s what I understand to happen, so whack-a-mole…

Trump didn’t.

5 Likes

There were a lot of Trump accounts post banning. I don’t know if they were directly under his control, but a lot did show up.

looks like i’m gonna be checking out Mastodon a bit more in preparation.

2 Likes

And yet he remained deplatformed and Twitter was better. Repeat 11 more times.

9 Likes

so he was banned and the accounts responsible for 90% bile from Twitter are still there. I just think the solution to that bile is to offer more control to the users at the feed level and opt into that.

From what I can tell, Musk seems to think two things will “fix” twitter:

1. Force everyone to be authenticated. Like Facebook’s real name policy, but stronger - if you want an account, you prove it’s you and then you are no longer anonymous, your words matter, and
  2. once #1 is in place, remove everyone else, which will also kill all those spambots and troll accounts.

The idea being, I guess, that then the asshats who violate the letter of the law around free speech get banned, and everyone else has to live with consequences of what they say because they are no longer anon.

What I see happening as a result? Millions of underprivileged people denied participation from onerous ID requirements, and a rude awakening as Twitter learns the same way Facebook did that there are lots and lots of people willing to say vile, vitriolic shit with their names on full display.

24 Likes

I tried. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

OK, so a TERF points their following at a trans person. How the ever loving hell does feed level control help there?

6 Likes

The same people who supported him did so because of what he said. That was not going to change either way. People who had some sort of awareness of reality moved away from Trump once they had a solid centrist democrat who was a man to vote for.

10 Likes

No doubt.

This is precisely my point. His constant tweets only drove more and more centrists away from him. Even if I, and many others, don’t consider Biden to be a solid anything.

2 Likes

Oh, FFS. Twitter has a set of terms that Trump egregiously violated, over and over. Hell, Trump’s tweets violate the terms of his own social media site. There’s no rational argument to be made for platforming him again. The least bad thing it does is give the signal that there’s no enforced rules of behavior on Twitter. Watch the number of users plummet as the trollies rush in (which they already started to do with the announcement Musk was buying).

I was reading they had a surge in new users when Trump got banned. You’d think the argument for self-interest would penetrate through to Elon, but apparently he doesn’t give a shit if he ruins Twitter and drives out all the users.

14 Likes