Mutant horticulture

Took ya long enough

10 Likes

It begins! Pineapple fruit in T-minus 24-36 months

(late edit: 48-36 months? Who writes like that? Should be 24…)

7 Likes

There will be at least one re-potting between now and then, right?!

4 Likes

Haha, probably at least two. Unless I want a tiny, grape-sized pineapple. From what I understand, I should expect to repot it into a 12" pot in the 6-9 month range. In the room I have for it, it’ll probably go pretty dormant over the winter, so we’ll see how it goes

4 Likes

Signs of Spring! (spotted in the wild) Siberian squill, a spring ephemeral.

When you see a whole lawn full of them, it’s beautiful and the ocean of blue lifts your heart. However, they’re not native here and they can be invasive (hence whole lawns full of them). However again, they’re a good early source of pollen for the bees. Some sources say to plant them, some sources say to eradicate :woman_shrugging:t2:

7 Likes

if it is good for bees, i say plant them!
bees are cool!

6 Likes

Honey Bee Bees GIF by LookHUMAN

6 Likes

Tiny cactus put out a tiny flower bud! :heart_eyes:

(Pinky fingernail for scale)

Bitey Cat disassembled the cactus clump this little nub was a part of, and I replanted the surviving bits in a terra cotta saucer and hoped for the best. Yay!

12 Likes

Gorgeous cactus - I like the “webbing.” Not a cactus, but I have some anacampseros arachnoides seeds marinating because I liked their similar effect.

7 Likes

Succulent City redux!

They are at last moving outside. It’s been a cold spring in MO

11 Likes

amaryllis surprised us with a bloom! this poor plant gets so neglected, yet still makes massive, beautiful blooms!
wish they were all so easy.

12 Likes

It bloomed!

10 Likes

Wow! So pretty

7 Likes

Try to smell for scent in the evening and at night. Might be worth it. :blush:

7 Likes

Blooming haworthia. The ridiculously long flower stalk amuses me.

ENHANCE!

7 Likes

Holey buckets, I did not realize how many seeds were in one packet! The seeds for snapdragons are really tiny. Like, really teeny-tiny. There was just a pinch of them in the packet, I didn’t expect it to go far. And I didn’t have high expectations for seeds from Target to germinate that well. I figured it would be enough to fill a window box, so I just sprinkled them over the one box. I’m shocked how many seedlings and how dense. I could have seeded a whole outdoor garden bed!

5 Likes

They’re small enough that you could probably prick them out into seperate modules.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve got a job on my hands now, if I want to try to save very many of them. They look so delicate, though…here’s hoping I can manage to separate some before their roots get too entangled :seedling::seedling::seedling::seedling::seedling::seedling::seedling::seedling::seedling::seedling::seedling::seedling::seedling::seedling::seedling::seedling::seedling:
Otherwise, there’s always next year to try again. Live and learn, eh?

3 Likes

I potted these this afternoon

10 Likes

I figure someone here will know what this is. I recall being told it’s a dogwood. There’s a similar plant/shrub that I also thought was a dogwood (maybe both are) - that one blooms a month or 2 earlier than this, but its flower petals(?) are rounded at the ends, not pointed like these (sometimes this kind of flower can almost form a square).

6 Likes