Mutant horticulture

Lovely!
And happy cake day.

Hungry Bill Murray GIF by Groundhog Day

7 Likes

There it was…

And here it is!

(Just look at the plant, and not at my attempts to “stage” it, okay? It was tricky finding a sunny spot to get some good light on it, without stuff in the background.)

For some reason, this bulb always produces a stalk with just two flowers, not the usual four. I don’t love it any less.

15 Likes

Love the color!

9 Likes

Pretty sure this is a flower spike and not an air root on my Phalaenopsis :crossed_fingers::heart_eyes:

13 Likes

12 Likes

Five to go!

13 Likes

beautiful!
love the delicate white outline on the petals.
i think we have one similar.

since it is outdoors year-round, the leaves don’t look as good as yours. they tend to get sunburnt, which tends to leave spots on them.

10 Likes

The next one is happening now:

Perhaps as an effort to make up for its neighbor which always gives only two flowers on its stalk, this bulb always gives two stalks:

10 Likes

Monsteras gone wild

10 Likes

This volunteer cropped up in the grass in the front yard.

At first I thought it was a buffalo burr, but the stems are smooth. Then that flower head cropped up and I knew it couldn’t be a buffalo burr. Which is good because that is a terrible spot for a buffalo burr, they’re extremely spiny and that area is right next to the path to the front door.

I think it might be Texas prairie parsley

If it is that would be really cool. I could go ahead and let it grow and see if any black swallowtail butterflies come to lay eggs on it.

This is kind of what we do with our grassy areas. Especially in the spring we just see what grows. In the backyard there is a lot of goldenrod, primroses, two blue bonnets, some strange vining thing that is in the pea family and has tiny purple flowers, and lots of other random ground covers. Much better than lawn grass

6 Likes

First peony of the year:

Early clematis:

Japanese maple “Ariadne”:

(USDA zone 7b)

10 Likes

I moved from 6a to 5b, but when it starts popping, I can add to the Japanese maple photos!

6 Likes

A camellia, a couple of our overdone lasagna pots. Also our flower ended up with 5, so who knows?

7 Likes

Oooo spring flowers. I want to play!
Texas dandelion

Rose

Tickseed

Our lone Bluebonnet

Primroses

And I have no idea but it’s pretty so we won’t mow it

9 Likes

I’m living vicariously through you all right now: it has been in the low teens and has been snowing since yesterday! I really want things to thaw out (it’s gonna be a while) so I can get the spring yard clean up cracking and see how all the perennials that I planted last year fared.

6 Likes

This is our backyard right now. Where judgey neighbors and the HOA cannot see

8 Likes

Nice. Anything in particular in the mix? Or just whatever comes up?

3 Likes

lovely little primroses! my gran had a field out back (Austin, between her house and the state school for the deaf) that would be covered in primroses in the spring! an ocean of pinkness!
also, is that a rhubarb at far left?

3 Likes

Two mutants that someone may find interesting.

First, I was repotting a century plant and found that it had this long, pale white taproot that was probably 2’ long despite being in a 4" pot. I tried to preserve it, but it cracked off. Googling around, I learned that century plants don’t have a taproot and that this was it attempting to make a runner to ‘pup’ sufficiently far away from the plant! I took the broken part out and gave it its own pot, and left what I suspected to be a growth node above the surface of the soil. Less than a week later, it’s starting to photosynthesize, so I hope I did something right. I didn’t look up how to do this at all, just a complete experiment.

Second, the local grocery store had pineapples for 99c for some reason…so we twisted the top off, put it in water, and about two weeks later it started to root! This was three days ago, and the roots are about an inch long now:

11 Likes

In the yard, whatever comes up. There are primroses, Texas dandelion, regular dandelion, and several ground covers I haven’t identified that make various tiny flowers. We do have a single blue bonnet hidden in what I think are goldenrods. We’re going to make sure to collect the seeds and get them in the ground. The birds will have to find other things. We try not to mow from February until May, so the bees and butterflies can have something to eat while so many things aren’t flowering. When the time comes, we will mow most but avoid any patches of flowering plants. Except the sunflowers. Those things are every where! Birds are messy eaters. If we mowed around those, we wouldn’t have much yard left.

Those are sunflowers that haven’t made flowers yet. We’ve never tried rhubarb. Might need to go on my list.

3 Likes