My god, what have I done? Donald Trump as David Byrne in "Once in a Lifetime"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/12/01/same-as-it-ever-was.html

11 Likes

Not MY beautiful house.

3 Likes

15 Likes

Of the Talking Heads videos featuring old men of orange countenance, for my money it’s “Burning Down the House” as covered by Tom Jones/The Cardigans:

13 Likes

Same as it ever was, I guess…

4 Likes

DByrne

Not my beautiful president.

5 Likes

What an obscenity. I love his voice, but as David Byrne?

4 Likes

I would think Life During Wartime would better fit this administration but I love the vid regardless. :3

5 Likes

The self questions seem apropos. ( If our commander in chief was a more introspective type. )

1 Like

Brilliant. These things are almost always great as ideas, but not nearly as great in reality. Typically, I can’t get past the first 15 seconds, without thinking, “All right. I got the joke.” This was great, though. Really, really well done.

10 Likes

Reminds me somehow of Tay Zonday

His version of Prince’s ‘Kiss’ with Art of Noise is fantastic:

8 Likes

I think we should avoid the impulse to find him funny or fun. like it or not he is rewriting the meaning of president and this may be a pivotal moment in history for how we see government in the US (also thanks to Mitch M and his gang of opportunist…)

4 Likes

"And you may ask yourself
How do I work this scam?
And you may ask yourself
Where is that large bankruptcy?
And you may tell yourself
This is not my 'beautiful hotel!'
And you may tell yourself
This is not my first or last wife!"

20 Likes

what a time to be alive

1 Like

I am horrified by this. We should not in any way be romanticizing this piece of shit criminal.

1 Like

We’re not. We’re laughing at him.

Gallows Humor Man

If you want something more serious, I recommend reading this relatively short paper…

Humor as a Defense Mechanism in the Holocaust by Chaya Ostrower
https://www.yadvashem.org/yv/en/education/conference/2004/55.pdf

14 Likes

If I wanted to laugh at trump, I’d pull up his twitter feed. But I see what you’re getting at. Fortunately, I am only living in fear of some future analog of a holocaust rather than actually living through a holocaust. Until then, there is hope we can all share the last laugh upon this man’s conclusive disgrace!

2 Likes

Take a look at these (small) hands
The hand speaks
The hand of a government man

3 Likes

His cover of Bad As Me is at least as good as the Tom Waits original.

1 Like