My head just exploded

That was not a video I should have watched first thing in the morning.

As a long time metal head, this made me throw up a little.

Where the hell was the metal in that?

Perfect normality.

All told, I don’t think that I like it very much. But I’m glad that I live in a world where this is possible.

3 Likes

Whackadelic!

It’s like somebody put electricity in my coffee!

Happy! First time caller. I’m the only other human in this Baby Metal video. I work as a “talent” here in Japan and would love any intelligent questions about, well, this kinda thing!

7 Likes

I am cool (and you missed an apostrophe) but what’s that got to do with anything?

I saw them in L.A. about twelve years ago, they were great.
Of course, Ex-Girl is a real band, formed by adult musicians, which helps them a lot. Great band!

1 Like

Did you really think metal was just going away? Get your metal legs back by listening to some of the good Euro Symphonic Metal bands like Within Temptation
Dangerous

Try to reduce the moments we publicly resemble our parents. That can’t be allowed.

1 Like

Ahh Ex-Girl were (are they still going? I must check once i finish typing this comment ^__^) great, I was lucky enouhg to see them live twice back in the day

I can top this: j-pop vs harsh noise: BiS KAIDAN

http://s3.supermerlion.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/1069270_545071552221710_1367275390_n-550x550.jpg

Yes, it’s legendary japanoise band Hijokaidan collaborating with idol group BiS, doing a cover of a Jun Togawa song, with a video referencing legendary noise moments such as Hanatarash’s venue-destroying bulldozer gig. The japanese subculture postmodernism singularity is upon us.: http://en.musicplayon.com/play?v=806326

(and this comes after the equally perplexing Hatsune Kaidan; a ‘collaboration’ between Hijokaidan and the fictional hologram/cosplay idol Hatsune Miku. I was sceptical about this but seeing them play live in London recently won me over, it was genuinely great ^u^)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1/1920589_10152261303648659_64964535_n.jpg

1 Like

Finally, a thread where I can post a Megaromania video!

2 Likes

The Japanese really have no clue what metal is. If you want a reaction post something negative on that video, all the hentai fetish people will attack you. I did it a couple weeks ago on another of their videos lol. There were idiots actually comparing them to legendary bands like Metallica.

To make this more, um, interesting, Babymetal is an offshoot of Sakura Gakuin.

1 Like

I can’t resist feeding the troll…

It’s a kawaii metal band, and offshoot of an idoru group. There’s something genuinely phony about it. IMHO that’s part of the fun of the thing.

But the backing band sure sounds like a metal band. Or maybe Nu Metal.

I guess I get annoyed at the people who insist that metal has to sound like, say, Bay Area metal in 1983.

The thing is, there was no one sound to metal. IMHO, Metallica sounded like earlier British bands mixed in with Thin Lizzie, until they changed. Exodus? Metal made by punk fans, IMHO. Don’t even say anything about the East Coast to some metal fans. Those metal fans will never acknowledge death metal, doom metal, speed metal, folk metal, Nu Metal, noise metal, symphonic metal, epic metal, screamcore, etc. I had a roomie in college who got on to me for being into metal but liking Napalm Death, because that grindcore was an offshoot of punk.

Some people will insist that Real Metal Has No Keyboards. I’m guessing those psychos in Black Metal bands would disagree. Or there’s people who insist that Real Metal is the Florida death metal scene from 20+ years ago. Eh…okay, whatever.

Who would have ever guessed that the highest concentration of metal bands would be Norway?

But metal’s a global phenomenon. Everywhere you’ll find angsty teens, electric guitars, basses, and drums, you’ll find metal bands. I listen to this, and yeah, there’s a certain Menudo phoniness to the group, but the backing musicians sound pretty solid, and I can hear a definite tinge of traditional Japanese music there. It makes it interesting to me in the same way Sepultura was interesting to me, with the definite African/native influences.

There’s people who would say that this isn’t metal…

6 Likes

I just found what MIGHT be a full album, which had that hip-hop break that almost floored me.

This is everything I love about speed/death metal without the one thing I don’t - the heavy reliance on unintelligible growling.

1 Like

GEMA says this is too cool to watch in Germany so I’m not allowed to…or something like that :frowning:

You sound fun. /s

in between the trap and the J-eurobeat and the goregrind. Can’t miss it.

1 Like

Fantastic! The only way this gets better is if they start biting the heads off of…Peeps.

6 Likes