"My hind leg!" Ranting Tennessee megachurch pastor says he will forbid mask-wearing in church

“Smote” gets my vote.

30 Likes

Even better.

‘Smitten’ carries a much more benign meaning these days…

25 Likes

40 Likes

Seconded.

BTW, does anybody else say “squoze” for the past tense of squeeze? It was one of my father’s silly words, and when I got dinged for it on a 3rd-grade spelling test, I felt like something was wrong in the universe. Still do, though for slightly different reasons.

17 Likes

…but I enjoy it so much, and the pay is fantastic!

15 Likes

This guy is a fantastic evangelist! He’s got to be recruiting thousands!

…to atheism.

20 Likes

No, but this one comes to mind: (Matthew 4:7)

The Temptation of Jesus
…6“If You are the Son of God,” he said, “throw Yourself down. For it is written: ‘He will command His angels concerning You, and they will lift You up in their hands, so that You will not strike Your foot against a stone.’ ” 7Jesus replied, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’” 8Again, the devil took Him to a very high mountain and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory.…

20 Likes

Look, I don’t have to be a jerk for Jesus.

Nope, for sure you’re just fine doing it for yourself.

15 Likes

I checked their website looking for the word “tolerance”, but they essentially cover it with this little gem from the About Us section:

Our entire congregation is known for being accepting, loving, gracious and forgiving.

Actually, there’s a whole lot of subtext in there which contradicts the messages they claim to hold sacred, despite them being completely on-brand for ‘it’s true that Jesus saved everyone, but we only believe that people who fit our narrow criteria are worthy of good things’.

If they really do preach their way through the bible word-for-word, I wonder how they reconcile all of the more “liberal” sentiments in order to fit their cherry-picked perspective.

10 Likes

Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 8.55.34 PM

14 Likes

No, because you’ll never comply enough you’ll never compromise enough, you will never get in the good graces of godless people because all they want is compliance

The projection is off the charts with this clown. We’d be HAPPY to tolerate you if you’d stop demanding we roll over and offer you our rear ends so you can fuck the country repeatedly with your narrow minded, bigoted, stupid, dangerous, short sighted, self-servicing bullshittery. In short, up yours and your version of Jesus, you douche.

15 Likes

I’m sure glad I don’t have a nut allergy.

11 Likes

38 Likes

It struck me the other day, when another church had temporarily closed because so many of its congregants were sick with covid (and they made no mention of vaccinations or masks), that more than the Republican party, it’s specific churches that are going to bear the brunt of the politicization of the pandemic.

Churches, which skew older in their membership, are the perfect transmission grounds for covid (close-packed, singing). If you’re actively discouraging vaccines and mask-wearing and encouraging people to go to church, you’re going to end up killing a significant percentage of your congregation. And that’s going to end with a lot of disillusioned former church members when this is all over.

@ChuckV

I saw a picture of some fundamentalists holding a sign urging people to not get vaccinated because “Jesus has you covered.” And I thought - did he have the millions of people who have already died from covid “covered”? Does “covered” not involve actually surviving? Are we then supposed to not protect ourselves from anything, and just die as soon as possible? I have so many questions.

25 Likes

Pretty sure he didn’t -

Matthew 5:22
Whosoever says “thou fool” shall be in danger of hellfire.

13 Likes

Yeah, that’s happening, Right Now.

13 Likes

Well then good thing Trump didn’t get re-elected.

7 Likes

19 Likes

“whom”

(I am smitten with grammar and pedantry.)

12 Likes

A lot of US evangelicals and fundamentalists (no, not all, but plenty) have this kind of fatalistic belief that if god has chosen you then you literally can’t get sick unless you’re called to heaven (a good thing anyway) and all the rest are already damned and will get sick and go to hell. It’s like this isn’t life but purgatory and the few that were chosen for heaven already get benefits here. It’s… warped and getting more warped by the minute but there it is. Everyone but them can see this is a death cult.

20 Likes