"My hind leg!" Ranting Tennessee megachurch pastor says he will forbid mask-wearing in church

Proverbs 26:11 As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.

11 Likes

These people are going to kill a bunch of people, and possibly themselves.

5 Likes

No, but I think I’ve heard it. To use a phrase of my father’s, that’s English as she is spoke.

7 Likes

Yeah, the Calvinist predestination is quite strong in fundamentalism, though they don’t always admit that’s their thinking (until after you get sick/die). “Oh well, I guess his faith wasn’t strong enough…”

13 Likes

Wait, if I wear a mask, I won’t be able to go to church? In Tennessee? That’s like a triple win!

27 Likes

No type of logical argument will convince these people.

The consequence is getting sick, dying, and one would hope - insurance premiums doubling for those that choose to ignore science.

In my perfect world - all of this would happen - in addition to multiple class action lawsuits (against the churches, pastors and media organizations) by the very people who have been led astray.

Win-win - perhaps the result would be less churches and less right-wing media companies, and even less fundamentalists.

5 Likes

I heard on the radio (so I may not have the details quite right): there is some talk show host (Tennessee as well) that was all COVID is a hoax etc. Got sick - this is nothing I will be back tomorrow, Dems are evil so is the vaccine… after about 3 weeks in hospital his brother says he is starting to think he was wrong.

11 Likes

Going through the process of dying of covid seems to convince some of them, but it is too late by then.

11 Likes

Unfortunately correct; However, Deuteronomy 6:16 does have something similar: “You shall not put the LORD your God to the test, as you tested Him at Massah."

This sort of demand sounds a lot like “Lord, we are testing you to see if you will keep us safe from this disease even though we are being compleat assholes about it.”

Edit: @the_borderer beat me to it. Serves me right for not reading the entire thread first. :smiley:

5 Likes

I remember being taught a variation of the parable of the flood, except it was a sick person turning away the help of nurses, doctors and surgeons until they died, and God telling them that He had sent them to help on his behalf.

It was in Britain, we have the NHS, so it made more sense than it would in the US.

18 Likes

I remember a similar variation on it, only told in a joke format. the point was the same, though- If someone shows up to offer assistance in your desperate time of need, take it.

8 Likes

Why would Jesus even need to be vaccinated?

Ytho GIF

6 Likes

Got to stay healthy until his execution?

Unlike, say Wolverine, I don’t think there’s anything in the Bible about the Nazz being immune to disease.

5 Likes

And what does he look like without his human suit?

3 Likes

Titus 3:1 “Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good.” And to be jerks if that doesn’t suit them.

6 Likes

Willing to bet money the hoof at the end of that hind leg is cloven.

13 Likes

If you are a Christian, death is literally the best thing that can happen to you. Provided, of course, you have worked off that original sin and jumped through any other required hoops to be saved. Heaven is the End Zone, and the Earth is the rest of the football field.

6 Likes

Maybe not everyone can afford serpents like the Pentecostals? Dunno. :thinking:

1 Like

It’s no coincidence that this particular church looks like a circus tent.

8 Likes

Fox News just put it out.

You know who requires that you vax or mask? Who has passes to show if you’re vaxxed or not, and if you’re not vaxxed you have to mask AND be tested daily? That would be Fox News, of course.

5 Likes