My kid is allergic to nuts, so I demand you give carrot sticks to everyone on Halloween

It’s not. I was responding to someone who referred to the flyer-hanger as anonymous, my point is that the person is probably not as anonymous as they think.

3 Likes

Sweeeeet!!! Get on the exchange and I’ll send ya some!!! I need to go down to the market and buy a big flat of peppers. It’s not ideal pepper drying season though… it got rainy and cold here in Texas.

Exchange?!?!?! Where/!!?!

pepper drying season - my friend, I live in London. England.

But I have proudly, and successfully, harvested 7 (seven) chocolate habaneros this year!

And that’s it. Scovilles accomplished. I have no further ambition to be kicked in the stomach by a mule. I am a proud LEVEL 2 chili eater!

4 Likes

Pixy Stix, Five Hour Energy, and perhaps a can of Red Bull, Mountain Dew, or Jolt Cola would make for acceptable substitutes, right? No peanuts, gluten, or dairy in any of those.

7 Likes

My kids love good pencils. Except those are not the ones people give out.

4 Likes

The Mutant Exchange, friend.

I don’t know what I want from London, but it ain’t chocolate ghost peppers!!! :smile:

1 Like

I can understand if the parent feels frustrated. But just because they feel frustrated doesn’t mean they should issue a demand like this. A simple “My child has very severe nut, gluten, and dairy allergies. Please consider buying something without those (like carrots, raisins, etc.) to give to him/her and other kids with allergies” would have been a much more productive approach.

And if you want to get out frustration, instead of writing a message like this I recommend taking a page from a 1980’s band name. Buy a bunch of pumpkins and destroy them; Smash(ing) those Pumpkins, if you will. Sledgehammer (aka Gallagher’s Halloween Special), throwing at a tree or big rock, stabbing with a large fork or knife (if the pumpkin is properly restrained so it doesn’t skitter away or roll), stomping on it with your foot, running over with your car, etc. If you can wait, pick up pumpkins for cheap on November 1st and do this.

1 Like

I’m a little puzzled by a pretty obvious omission from the list on the flyer – what about plain old lollipops? No nuts, gluten, or dairy; kind of plain, but still definitely something kids will recognize as candy; and commonly available (Brach’s Lemon Drops? Really?)

2 Likes

are lollipos made with HFCS? I think the parent would see this a problematic ingredient

1 Like

My hat is tipped to your choice of butter. Tillamook forever!

1 Like

Almost correct. NECCO used to be across the street from MIT and IIRC the first office of Genentech. They also make Mary Janes and Squirrel Nut Zippers for anyone who has a loose filling they need help with.

1 Like

I think most people who are into candy making also have wrappers available. I went through a phase where I made suckers and brittles all the time and cellophane wrappers are easy to get at any candy making store.

I never knew Squirrel Nut Zippers was a candy. I’d only ever heard the band.

5 Likes

It is a candy - but I LOVE the band.

I live on the 13th floor, and there’s a video intercom thingamajig. They’d need actual, flying broomsticks to trick or treat. Which, to be fair, would deserve a prize of some sort.

3 Likes

It’s a bit of a disappointment really, to now know they’re named after a candy. I always thought it was abstract. A friend I introduced their music to, thought I was making it up.

Treat! Treat! Take them all. No tricks please.

Because the other Halloween options are so healthy… (Also, note that this person included carrot sticks and raisins as non-allergenic and healthy alternatives,too.)

Or you just leave the front light on or off, depending on whether or you not expect visitors. Is this not known?

3 Likes

Ummmm. Go fuck-yerself and try being responsible for your own spawn once in a while.

3 Likes