Teal pumpkins indicate that you have safe, allergy-free goodies to give trick-or-treaters

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/12/teal-pumpkins-indicate-that-yo.html

Teal pumpkins also indicate that there is something wrong with your pumpkin patch.

28 Likes

I give you the Hungarian Blue - King of Pumpkins! Seriously, these are the best pumpkins you can eat. Unless you’re allergic, I guess.

33 Likes

Damn, that pumpkin patch is so wrong, it’s right!

7 Likes

This is where we get our gourds. Autumn is a fine season!

7 Likes

How is it a secret code if its a broad PR campaign intended to raise awareness of allergen risks?

14 Likes

Do any of these allergy-full kids do the old “collect change for UNICEF instead of candy” thing? Is that even a thing anymore? I don’t think I’ve seen kids do that for twenty years at least.

10 Likes

My solution is to close the blinds, turn off the indoor / outdoor lights, and sit in the dark eating candy and playing with non-allergenic trinkets, while being silently judged by the blue pumpkin in the corner.

27 Likes

Note to self: skip the houses with teal pumpkins.

Follow-up on note-to-self: you haven’t trick-or-treated since the 90’s, dummy!

21 Likes

What do the rotting remains of last year’s pumpkin indicate?

4 Likes

give me Oh Henry, or give me death!

5 Likes

So, wait… if you’re allergic to pumpkin, what’s the best pumpkin to eat?

6 Likes

I’ve always used the lights-out-no-decorations-while-people-are-visibly-home secret code. Works like a charm.

4 Likes

Safety first!

19 Likes

Yep; it’s still a thing.

5 Likes

Black pumpkins indicate that you give out apples with razor blades inside.

6 Likes

Any of these! All of the allergens except pumpkin.

9 Likes

Ooooh! Glad to see stencils are on the approved list. Throw in a can of spray paint and the kids will love it! Those little Bic lighters were really popular with the kids last year but a bunch of fussy parents ruined that one.

4 Likes

24 Likes

I don’t think I ever considered that a significant number of kids could end up in hospital from trick or treating. Downside is that this solution means even more cheap disposable plastic in our surroundings.

My partner and I floated the idea of doing an eco-friendly Halloween party to our friends and other people in our neighbourhood, but we got crickets and awkward glances in response. The common response seems to be “well it’s once a year, let them have fun”, but the problem is that it’s also Valentine’s Day, St. Patrick’s Day, Easter, Christmas, numerous birthday parties, school events, visits from relatives… it’s more like once a month, sometimes more often. And eco-friendly doesn’t need to mean boring and healthy either.

Anyway, what does this mean for Boing Boing’s annual Candy Hierarchy?

3 Likes