Teal pumpkins indicate that you have safe, allergy-free goodies to give trick-or-treaters

Interesting, and a good idea. However, knowledge of this convention is definitely not universal, so would you really trust that any particular individual buying and putting out a teal pumpkin knows the convention?

6 Likes

My thoughts exactly. Also, if you ONLY take your kids to houses with teal pumpkins it’s likely to be a very boring (and disappointing) outing for your little one.

5 Likes

I was under the impression that trick-or-treating in general was in decline, in favor of sanitized communal events at City Hall or whatever.

4 Likes

Nice try, but you’re not tricking me into eating candy corn.

2 Likes

God, does EVERYTHING have to be teal and orange?!

9 Likes

What if I’m allergic to teal paint?

3 Likes

The rotting remains of last year’s candy.

1 Like

It wasn’t as much of a concern in the past. There’s been a huge spike in the number of kids with serious allergies since the 90’s. Its increasingly pegged to a ahift in medical advice that told parents to avoid certain allergens (especially nuts) to a later age. The unfortunate thing is that early exposure to such things is turning out to be a key thing in preventing kids from developing severe allergies.

Handing out toys, plastic junk is one approach. The other is to have candy. But keep a seperate set of of things for the allergy kids. Either safe snacks or non food.

You would have been egged hard. Houses teaching a “lesson” about environmenalism sat with those handing out chick tracks and campaign materials in my neighborhood.

5 Likes

I’ll be handing out these little nuggets. Bwa ha ha ha ha haaaaaaa!

http://www.chick.com/seasonal/halloween/2018/#packs

So my kid’s favourite color being teal, I can see accidentally murdering may allergenic children by simply buying the pumpkin my kid wants.

You make it sound so compelling.

1 Like

Wait, so you’re telling me that now I’m not supposed to be handing out vials of pure histamine on Halloween?

Next thing you know they’ll be telling me to turn off the smoke machine I’ve set up at the crosswalk.

Nobody knows how to have fun anymore.

3 Likes

Are we allowed to use bad words here? I can’t remember. This hilarious McSweeney’s rant has a ton of language that is NSFW.

I am using an URL shortener here because even the URL from has an f-bomb in it.

https://bit.ly/2bgfH3X

Ye gods, I do love McSweeney’s.

ETA: Off to go look at the moderator’s rules…

6 Likes

I tend to save those for my friends that are amused by them, and keep my eyes open at other times of the year for new ones for their collection. Like Pokemon, gotta catch 'em all!

2 Likes

I’ve heard of an interesting parental solution to that (your kid being the allergic exception that cannot have standard halloween fare): Rather than hope that enough people will somehow know to have a “special” or non-standard treat for your kid, the parents go around the neighborhood before halloween and introduce themselves, explain the situation, and leave something with the neighbors that is acceptable for their kid. Come halloween, the unsuspecting type gets directed to all the pre-seeded houses, and has a normal halloween like any other kid.

This probably only works if there’s only a kid or two with particular treat restrictions per neighborhood, and only up to a certain age.

7 Likes

fuck no, we can’t post that shit here, what would people think

15 Likes

I’ve had neighbors do that. But it only really works with younger kids. Older ones… its like the tooth fairy and they figure it out. Plus when kids get old enough to start plotting max candy with their friends. Hey lets go to that neighborhood with denser houses and rich folk. Bet I can fill a whole pillow case. It becomes impractical.

Though I gather its improper to allow kids under 34 to free range like that these days.

Watch you’re fucking mouth.

5 Likes

I was thinking just let them collect candy as normal, then “trade it in” for something they can handle.

Luckily my kid has no peanut allergy!

2 Likes

It’s really unfortunate. There’s a kid in my daughter’s class with a very dangerous peanut allergy, and we just found out he’s coming to her birthday party. Now we have to get all new candy for the party favors. We have pounds of candy that we can’t use, and we’re just having to eat it all ourselves. It’s the only reasonable course of action.

Anyhoo, I’m off to have a breakfast of fun-sized Snickers and Twix with coffee, as one does.

13 Likes

My son, who is severely allergic to peanuts and tree nuts, used to collect for UNICEF. Over a few Halloweens we probably collected close to $500. Sadly, he’s gotten “too old” (his words) to do that anymore.

3 Likes