My mother cracked her phones screen protector

Originally published at: My mother cracked her phones screen protector | Boing Boing

I’ll alert the media…

10 Likes

spare screensaver I could rush over.

Was she anticipating some trouble? An attack by diamond-encrusted hooligans? Playing phone catch while wrapped in sandpaper? Sounds like an oddly-specific emergency.

10 Likes

Is this an encoded message of some kind?
Is it this “mother”?

5 Likes

You jinxed me! I just got a divot on my protector - not even sure how that happened.

When you’re done with hers, mine could use some replacing too.

2 Likes
5 Likes

“Step on a crack, break your mother’s screen protector”.

9 Likes

Amazon- the store for good sons to buy their sweet mums a bubble free screen saver.

Side note… My current cracked and chipped glass protector will be the last glass protector I buy.

Who has a plastic brand they like? Thanks!

1 Like

Every protector I’ve tried almost immediately got cracked while banging around in my pocket. So I bought a $10 padded case which is bulky but works much better. If I used the phone constantly, I suppose the velcro flap would be a pain.

2 Likes

My mother calls me when she can’t find her Google. So I find this credible.

3 Likes

I broke the screen on my work phone while trying to install its protective case. Dropped it, smash.

I contacted IT to get it replaced. They said to send them a picture of it. I said I can’t, since my camera is on the broken phone. Then he helpfully suggested that I take a screenshot with the phone and send that instead so he could see how cracked it was. I explained that wouldn’t work either but he insisted. Upon receiving the picture he declared that he couldn’t see the cracks and closed the ticket.

My phone is still broken.

17 Likes

LOL. Sorry for your phone but that’s the funniest thing I heard all day.

8 Likes

I sometimes wonder if IT departments are engaged in a global game of Catch-22 bingo.

9 Likes

Or is this Mother? (Even though these phones don’t seem to have screens.)

4 Likes

My phone screen cracked days before a long trip. I put on a strip of package-sealing tape, the screen lasted 6 months of hard use that way.

1 Like

I remember that one, it is the episode with the mirrors; Tara does practically everything, while Steed hangs out poolside with Mother. (The Tara King episodes are hugely underrated.)

2 Likes

It was this episode

Somebody is leaking secrets from the Carmadoc research institute and suspicion falls upon Steed, who has been spending some time there. He is accordingly put under rather luxurious house arrest at Mother’s, whilst Miss King and her somewhat incompetent new partner Watney unmask the real traitor.

It was recently repeated on ITV4. (They are up to episode 28 of that series now. I wonder if they will cycle through to the beginning again or find something else to fill up those slots.)

2 Likes

I’ve tried the Supershieldz and, I think, the TechArmor HD ones, and I like them. I agree, after cracking my glass screen saver and then cutting myself on it (and then again when removing the damn thing), I am not a fan of the glass shields. Warning: I am not a perfectionist and am not phased by a slightly off fit (not perfect edge-to-edge cover), so I’m not the best judge of things like that. But it works, didn’t have too much trouble with bubbles, and the image seems clear and not too fingerprint-prone.

2 Likes

Wait wait… so there is a plastic that is superior to the glass? do all the touch and gesture things work?

1 Like