My pick for 2021's superb owl

Those skinny legs ‘mask’ incredible talon strength. Picture looks to be of an Eagle-Owl. The smaller Great Horned Owls have grip strength equal to a German Shepherd’s bite force.

10 Likes

Back at Ye Olde Homestead, we had a mated pair living off a tree in back of my parents’ bedroom. There was a big dead branch sticking out of the tree; one night I saw two large silhouettes sitting on it. Then one turned and I saw the huge ‘horns’ before it took off. It must have had a 4 foot wingspan, not to mention the “Hoo! Hoo! Hoo-Hoo!” call.

6 Likes

8 Likes

An owl used to frequent a tree outside our place. At night, sometimes we’d hear it go, Hoo-hitty-hoot! Hoo-hitty-hoot! And I’d think, what sort of candy-ass owl hoots like that?

4 Likes

Any ‘hoot’ jokes in this thread? Fruit to low?
Can I at least get a ISWYDT?

3 Likes

David Tennant can look like however David Tennant wants to look like

(If anyone goes looking for that episode of Rab C Nesbitt, be warned that it was only progressive by the standards of late 80s Britain)

12 Likes

I’d love to see this updated.

2 Likes

I’m living for this thread. Owls, eh? Brilliant.

3 Likes

13 Likes

tumblr_mm532gmfFl1r8jtnpo1_500

12 Likes

… And now, a flash back from Staten Island:

1 Like

giphy-8

9 Likes

fb7cfd86afc3926d18ac00c915b62aa6

10 Likes

Thanks, I so needed closure!

Will hold other owl thoughts…

WHOOT!!

3 Likes

Love it. Had not seen this. Something to look forward to (and I could really use some of that, January was a very hard month for me).

Tennant’s work with the Royal Shakespeare Company just floors me. Every. Time.

This unpacking here made me appreciate his craft in a more informed way:

Just wow.

Of course, his sly Mary Poppins sendup was good fun too…

I also deeply appreciate his humility and his ability to convey his humanity intact, on- and off-screen.

Thanks for posting.

13 Likes

Uh…

8 Likes

Ah ha hahahaha!

3 Likes
11 Likes

Kinda on topic…

8 Likes

Yeah, the great horned owl can have a little more than a four-and-a-half foot wingspan. They’re huge. I don’t think my neighbors are that big, but they were certainly a lot bigger than I was expecting.

3 Likes