Myst Island cake

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/16/myst-island-cake.html

9 Likes

Here’s a Firesign Theatre reference for you oldies.

Some years back Peter Bergman of the Firesign Theatre began working on parodies of popular games, and even invented one all by himself (Pink Hotel Burns Down), though I don’t think it ever saw release.

His version of Myst was Pyst.

Geez, I miss those 4 or 5 funny guys.

2 Likes

Lovely work! Strains the definition of “cake” though. “Diorama made of nontoxic ingredients” might be more accurate. It’s primarily store-bought fruitcake, fondant, and agar. Not something I’d be lining up to actually eat. I guess this is the way of stunt baking, though. I blame Cake Boss for popularizing putting electric motors and rice crispie blocks in everything, slathering it in fondant, and calling it a “cake”.

11 Likes
5 Likes

The new VR Myst game better have “cake rendering mode”

2 Likes

I really like that they did the video in the style of Myst’s book flythroughs.

Cake Boss

While eating, remember the Tower rotation!

1 Like

i really like this

3 Likes

Cyan was actually running a contest for best Myst Island cake and this was just one of the entries. There’s links to the others in this thread:

Vote for your fave :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Awwws… sweet memories of childhood…err late adolescence

Person who made this cake here! I wanted to actually eat this cake at the end so it’s as edible/tasty as possible. The fruit cake is store-bought but it’s Australian-style fruit cake, not American-style fruit cake, so it’s something that is far more edible and tastes much better than its international counterpart. The underlying cake was also doused in my favourite rum to help preserve it, so I definitely intend to eat this thing. The use of fondant was kept to a minimum because I agree that it tastes bad, so basically all the buildings/sculptures are made from sculpting chocolate. You’re right about the agar though, that part’s not too tasty… So only eat the island, not the water :wink:

5 Likes

You had me at “doused in rum”…

3 Likes

It’s really beautiful work! I hope I didn’t sound too down on it. I was mostly using it as excuse to grind my axe about the industry of stunt baking that has arisen (pardon the pun).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.