Mysterious New Orleans "anti-crime" camera emblazoned with NOPD logos outside surveillance contractor's house is disavowed by NOPD

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/02/mysterious-camera.html

2 Likes

Palantir business is booming.

And jobs, oh the jobs. The “Leverage” jobs?

Leverage

3 Likes

What network was the camera connected to? Who removed the camera? Where is the camera now?

2 Likes

No, no, no.

Those guys would be marks for the Leverage team.

God, we need that show, again.

8 Likes

He said it was fake news? Fuck him right in the ear.

14 Likes

I would 100% take the camera and put it on the internet (Send photos of the teardown to BB etc.). Sell it for fun. I mean, if it doesn’t belong to the city and DEFINITELY doesn’t belong to this asshole, nobody should object…

I bet an internet security person could also pretty easily see where this thing was trying to phone home.

4 Likes

Looks like a business opportunity.

Isn’t Ernst Röhm their CEO?

4 Likes

More of an inspiration I think.

4 Likes

either way - the story always ends the same way

6 Likes

Install a hidden camera to watch that location to see if anyone replaces that camera. (Put a NWS logo on it.)

4 Likes

see camera, initiate target practice

1 Like

Huh, that’s an interesting fact about New Orleans having been a Palantir surveillance lab. How far back does that go? The founder of the Really Really Free Markets, Kristen Brydum, was murdered while visiting N.O. in 2008. Her family was never able to find out details & the murder is still unsolved.

1 Like

Nobody removed the camera. Rather, “the camera was removed.”

If only there had been a camera watching the camera…

4 Likes

I was gonna say: cover up the camera and stick around for a while. Someone will show up.

3 Likes

Nobody removed the camera

If only Bill Keane were here to straighten shit out

3 Likes

“Who will watch the Watchers?” never goes out of style.

4 Likes

“Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster; and if you gaze into the Fake NOPD Camera the Fake NOPD Camera gazes into you.”

– Blind Melon Neitsche

6 Likes

maybe the guy had the camera installed to watch the comings and goings of estranged spouse? so he wouldn’t have to hand over the house if he got her on something? is that a crazy thought? yeah it’s crazy. ok i’ll see ya.

1 Like

The day after The Lens contacted Burkhardt, the camera was removed.

What a coincidence /s

1 Like