Mystery man smashes up Apple store

40 minutes

1 Like

I am certain that Apple doesn’t want them to. When I worked retail, you could get fired for trying to physically stop a robber; whatever they were taking wasn’t worth the possible lawsuit if you were injured or killed on the job. Official policy was that if someone comes in threatening violence, you give them whatever they want, do nothing to upset them, and call the cops as soon as you can.

6 Likes

Silicon Valley turf wars. He’s probably a Google Goon!

Nobody was ever hurt by video shot in portrait. Ever.

1 Like

Even True Scotsmen?

This is a direct result of not allowing nuns to beat the crap out of left-handed people any more.

5 Likes

I can’t help you with that. That’s how it is. To use a software analogy, Directives are the RFCs and national law is different examples of software implementing them. Does that help?

That was a good recovery, but they were lucky. Pinning somebody up against a railing like that is not a good move. If he’d had a fear of heights he might have seriously flipped out and somebody might have gone over the railing. Better not to have trapped him in such a desperate situation that he would go for the throat. It was still pretty low-key other than that, which is nice.

1 Like

To quote Brian O’Nolan (Miles nagCopaleen) “I lost two fingers to the study of Irish at school.”

It’s true though. Since WW2 most of Western society has got progressively less violent. It’s almost as if the men of violence - it’s usually but not always men - gravitate either to ethnic/religious conflicts, to right wing extremists, or in some places to the police - places where they can meet with peer approval for their behaviour. We even have the apparent paradox that the actual military becomes less personally violent as it becomes ever more structured and mechanised. The result is that when somebody does something like this, it’s news, because it is so far out of the “norm” for violent behaviour. We tend to forget that within living memory almost everybody was subjected to institutionalised violence. (I almost completely escaped it - at my school the PE teacher who decided to go in for beating was sacked.)

4 Likes

It helps me understand the problem alright: you don’t understand EU law.

Have you even heard of a regulation? And even directive can be directly applicable laws also. And, as I said, they are adjudicated in EU courts and they have enforcement regimes. Your analogy is flawed.

Ever seen a notice saying that search results have been removed in compliance with EUCD as an example of how an EU directive has a direct effect on your everyday life?

I suspect you may have learnt what you think you know about EU law from UK publications: Brits are constantly lied to by an ignorant media.

People, don’t do this. If it’s a property crime and no one is in danger it’s not worth your time or the danger you might be putting yourself in. Take a hint from the Apple Store employees. Do you think the mall will pay your medical bills if something goes awry? Let the people who are paid to handle it handle it.

“The only thing evil needs to succeed is for good people to do nothing.”

Evil? This is an insurance write-off and likely court-mandated psychotherapy, not the gassing of an ethnic group.

3 Likes

This is true; and an important consideration; but it doesn’t imply that all would-be good men need to rush into every situation as soon as possible lest evil succeed.

In this case, we have somebody committing a low to medium level property crime(captured on at least one camera, probably several) in the middle of a densely settled part of a first world nation with a reasonably active police force and judicial system.

The perp made no particular effort at disguise; was apparently disgruntled about some customer service issue(so is probably in the store’s records from a few days ago); and was being captured on at least one camera; probably several others as well. Even if the mall cop had just let him walk away; that police report would provide everything needed to locate anyone who isn’t a master of intrigue or willing to drop off the grid/live life in hiding.

It is important to ensure that something is done, if you don’t want whatever the problem is to carry on unchecked; but you are allowed to employ delegation and specialization of labor when they are available.

1 Like

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? Today an iPhone, tomorrow a baby who ruined his daily commute by its cries seeping into his earbuds. (This statement is mostly facetious. Mostly.)

I am not saying tackle the guy and throw him down to the 2nd level of the mall. Some guy just ran interference for a second to allow the security guy to catch up.

Remember what happened when Spiderman just let the petty thief run by?

We just had a story mocking people for “thoughts and prayers” when something bad happens, that these people never DO anything to make the world a better place.

I acknowledge Actionabes original concern about putting oneself in possible harms way for a “victim less crime” (my quotes), but in this case I don’t think what the person did really opened them up to a lot of risk. I also acknowledge your point that not every action needs a mad rush of vigilante justice. What happened here I think was the perfect response.

2 Likes

Oh well…obviously I failed to pick anything up when I was participating in Euronorm making on and off for eight years. And my child who is a Euro lawyer must be sad to learn that nothing of what I have been told has sunk in. So I somehow had to know that when I wrote “Directives” you were going to read “Regulations”. And that when you wrote “regulations” (lower case without explanation) I was somehow supposed to know that you meant “What about Regulations?” Read my post again carefully; I was answering the question “in what way does the EU not make laws” and I described the Directive process.
The person who is perhaps (slightly) confused is @mongolito404. I don’t think English is his main language. I think he was just saying that consumer protection is the subject of a Directive (it is), and he didn’t mean more generally.

To be honest I found your posts on the subject rather poorly worded and hard to understand, almost as if you were trying to start an argument.

Your standard for whether or not something is a good or bad idea, is if someone gets injured?

As for your statement, you don’t know that, do you? Perhaps there is someone right now sitting in prison, because video evidence of his innocence was out of frame because some idiot was holding the camera vertically.

3 Likes

Turns out he actually was using une boule de pétanque, quelle coïncidence

4 Likes

I’m annoyed with myself because I can’t remember which, but the first line of that story is a parody of a French novel.

What are you talking about? OF COURSE the EU passes laws and regulations and directives and guidelines for all its member country states that they are required to implement and enforce. The law in reference is a well known law throughout Europe and its protections cannot be reduced by national laws as it states directly in its text. AND yes individual countries pass their own laws and regulations as well, but they cannot supersede those of the EU as a condition of being part of the EU.

AND yes Apple is well known for violating this law.

1 Like