Mystery of the vanishing bird seed solved

I just started watching a comedy series where the second ep featured an unfortunate affliction of ‘jalapeño hand,’ and later, the world’s most awkward dinner party…

10 Likes

Deer will take chili right off the vine…
…I’m told,
We tried training a dog with cayenne water in a spray bottle
many years ago. He ate the spray bottle.

13 Likes

This experience, I’ve had it, many times.
But maybe somewhat less acutely.

5 Likes

Of course deer eat bird seed; not all of them, just the special ones; and this is the special deer season.

11 Likes

This used to drive me nuts when I was a chemist. Yes, you need to wash your hands before you use the bathroom, but people always talk like you obviously couldn’t wash your hands afterwards as well.

I’ve since come to realise that most “adults” are just toddlers who’ve learned a few tricks to simulate manners and politeness. Washing your hands, looking where you’re going, giving up your seat to others – these things are medieval torture, which you must avoid at all costs except where you’ve been specifically trained not to. So of course, if you must wash red fuming nitric acid off your hands before you rub it into your tender butthole, you can’t possibly be expected to also wash the shit off your hands afterwards.

PS this is why people are such unbelievable shitheads re: walking and using their phones. You might think, when smartphones appeared, adults could work out how to behave from first principles. But their actual thinking is “I feel like walking and texting, and that oncoming traffic isn’t my mom so it can’t tell me what to do”.

16 Likes

OOPS! DOH! New laptop.

3 Likes

10 Likes

4 Likes

9 Likes

in my dad’s defense, he thought it was a pretty good joke. I’m sure chemists are just like everyone else when it comes to deciding whether or not to wash their hands after using the toilet - which is to say, no more or less smart about it.

I can’t comment on physicists though - there’s no telling with those guys.

6 Likes

I thought at first it was one of the lawn ornament deers taking the birdseed.

3 Likes

As our dog got older, I had to take him for late night potty breaks. Many times we would see a small group of deer in the yard. They were around when it was warmer, but went into the yards to look for more easy to get to food in the winter.

4 Likes

Well I mean, he is correct that many chemists really do think that if you wash your hands before using the can, you can’t also wash them afterwards. Perhaps they just assume that’s how other people think, but that’s still psychologically revealing.

Now I think of it, the department in question was plagued for some years by a phantom shitter leaving turds in round-bottomed flasks (there were some pretty good photocopied notices posted around the place), so perhaps this rabbit hole is deeper than it looks.

2 Likes

Cover your bulbs in a layer of chicken wire before you cover them with dirt. The animals can’t get through but the plants can.

7 Likes

That’s interesting, I would have assumed that, Squirrels, like other rodents, are specifically designed to chew through things; chicken wire included.

Well, it works well for me and daffodil bulbs, but the squirrels don’t dig them up to eat them. They’re just being assholes.

7 Likes

And I thought at first that the lawn ornament deer had been placed there as decoys.

I can tell you from experience that squirrels chew through outdoor telephone cables (twice so far, in my case).

4 Likes

Me too… The Boing Boing Store seems to be on a predetermined number of ads per day generated by some feed. Over the christmas period the authors spent less time posting stuff so what you have left is the boing boing store stuff that can usually be ignored as noise becoming dominant.

3 Likes

Settle down there, Lamarck.

:wink:

5 Likes

The squirrels in my part of the world must be puny af.

1 Like