Mythbusters proves Walter White's boobytrap works

Fear not, a clean 100% so far(since the '30s) of automatic weapons and similar military weaponry like rockets and grenades used in murders in the US are of the safe illegal kind(stolen from the military, hand built, or smuggled over the border) not the abhorrent regulated and taxed sort which can be used in a TV shoot or movie.
Machine gun laws are like laws against switchblades, something too cool to be legal but not terribly different statistically from easily obtainable weapons like automobile fuel. Too cool for school makes an easy thing to ban for a legislator who has to show he did something amongst the graft.

1 Like

Honestly, was there any doubt that itā€™d work? I mean, thereā€™s /nothing/ in this that was remotely unlikely.

1 Like

IIRC I believe the only hitch was that the real garage door opener was too slow, so Adam had to weld a strut or something to the wrench to get the swing speed right on the M60, but yeah, otherwise itā€™s like a completely doable thing from the show besides garage door openers being geared for torque rather than velocity.

1 Like

There are obsessive people out there who will pay good money for any kind of morbid memorabilia.

2 Likes

At one point, there was a manufacturer making reproductions of the DeLisle carbine, and that required two tax stamps, one for the silencer and one for the short barrel.

1 Like

Tell me. I am too broke to buy an original ICBM launch key, a key opening the gates of hell, for myself.

Making a replica of the Soviet one from sufficiently detailed photographs I scored from an ebay auction of the keys is on the todo list.

Like Iā€™ve always said, please stick to the rivers and lakes youā€™re used to.

How much are those? That would be cool a fuck.

At this moment there are two out there. Usually thereā€™s none, they tend to be relatively rare.

Wow. The Titian one is ratherā€¦ mundane. I can see like the janitor having a spare key with 100 others, ā€œHold on, hold on, itā€™s one of these!ā€

Though wow $55 for a <$1 blank copied from a key? Thatā€™s one hell of a mark up.

2 Likes

For real. And they provide a high enough detail image that you could probably just make your own.

1 Like

My thoughts as well. Was rather disappointing to see.

True that. Thatā€™s why I am not buying. And itā€™s not an original anyway, which would make the price more reasonable.

Iā€™d upgrade the probability to ā€œcertainlyā€, given what we heard about photographs of keys in security context. The task is further simplified by not needing so much accuracy anyway, as thereā€™s little chance to test it in the lock anyway. I could make one from a blank with just a needle file and some time, the only thing Iā€™d need is to get the blank (anybody has an idea where, if possible with the same embossing?).

The Russian key looks quite better, more unusual. The photos are detailed, and there are enough with absolute scale reference (the measuring scales) to make a visually identical duplicate a matter of a few afternoons in the shop and some brass stock and some nickel (chrome?) plating. (Maybe steel would work too but it is less easy to machine. But is also more available in the at-hand stock.) Looks tempting to meā€¦ Will need some measurements on the images, perspective corrections, and so on, and some guesses, but should not be difficult.

I saved the images away for later use.

Wasnā€™t this episode like months ago?

Brass policing is important.

2 Likes

Bacon, an often-overlooked aspect of modern shooting sports. As with Twinkies.

3 Likes

I love that he also has to take out his badass knife to open the Twinkie packaging. Thatā€™s some serious science though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.