Nativity cow in second bid for freedom

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/12/15/nativity-cow-in-second-bid-for.html

5 Likes

Because you need an OX and a DONKEY.

3 Likes

“Then the secret cow gets out—right through the barn door, and Harley’s the Nativity Cow “miracle” goes viral. Within hours pilgrims, grifters, and the media have descended on his quiet patch of Swivel, Wisconsin Philadelphia, Pa, looking for a glimpse (and a percentage) of the calf. Does Harley hide the famous, possibly holy calf and risk a riot, or give the people what they want—and raise enough money to keep his land—and, just possibly, win the woman and her big red pickup truck?” Michael Perry, The Jesus Cow (Relativity edits by me)

Jesus Cow

3 Likes

We treat nativity cows much better than we treat traveling robots - or Santa.

1 Like

FREE STORMY! FREE STORMY!

Maybe she’s trying to get to her chiropractor.

…Lamb of God still at large.

3 Likes

I have a friend who really is a cow expert, but she’s no farmer. She’s a veterinarian.

eta: And at Cornell they have fields full of cows with portholes installed in their sides so the farmers cow expert ag professors could see what was going on inside the cows.

2 Likes

I think that cow has been trying to form a posse with Roy Moore’s horse.

“We didn’t choose this life!!”

8 Likes

Don’t be silly. Ranchers care for cows. Farmers care for plants.

I’ve been around my share of cows and they are usually pretty content to stay put if there is good food and water available. Do we know how she was kept?

edit to add:
I found this

I don’t see any food or water. Not that there isn’t some out of frame… just that there isn’t any visible.

btw, that stuff on the ground is straw not hay. Straw is not a good foodstuff for cows and when given must also include higher quality foods like grain. Also, you have to make sure a salt lick is available if you feed straw which is also not visible.

6 Likes

I presume the cow was outside in the cold, which seems a bit unnecessary for the animal. They’re also fairly social and them being the only cow there might’ve pushed them to try to break out and find a safer and warmer place.

Also why use real animals for a nativity scene?

2 Likes

Why use real animals for anything in 2017?

At first i thought they should just use chainlink instead, seems like overkill. Then I realized you meant windows into the cows themselves and I vomited in my mouth a little.

Until we extinct them all I want to get as much use out of them as possible.

We should probably stop breeding them so fast then.

1 Like

Fire departments have guys who have been trained in handling large (as in “not usually a pet”) animals.

fixed

5 Likes

You’re missing the ICE agents

Pedant alert: Ranchers raise beef cattle, but your milk comes from cows tended by Dairy Farmers.

Unless you drink some specialty milk/substitute, at which point, who knows?

4 Likes

There was no room at the inn.

6 Likes

I suppose I deserve that for not including an emoticon or some other indication besides “don’t be silly” to indicate a light attempt at faux pedantry.

1 Like