Neo-nazi arrested while "planning" mass-shooting at Walmart

Came to say exactly this, so thanks. Really, anywhere in the US. Anyone who thinks “it couldn’t happen here” has clearly not been paying attention. :cry:

But he seems nice. /s

Somewhat related, a few years ago here in Maine people called police to report a man walking on a popular trail in Portland with a machine gun strapped to him, in tactical gear. They were (very legitimately, IMO) freaked out by that sight. Police responded that, “hey, there’s nothing illegal about that.”
Yet a Black woman gets a fine for talking too loudly in her neighborhood. :woman_facepalming:t2:

20 Likes

Any insight into the meaning of the syringe logo on his wall of hate trinkets?

4 Likes

That’s an anti-vax logo, see up here in the high desert a lot. Very thankful that the nincompoops advertise who they are, then you can cut a wide berth from them.

13 Likes

I’ve been to Kerrville TX. I’ve been to that Walmart. It’s mostly old retirees who want to live out in the country, but still be a reasonable distance from a big city (San Antonio is about an hour’s drive). There’s a lot of guns and a lot of Republicans. It sucks a lot.

I know it’s a terrible thing to think, but my first thought was, “he probably didn’t have anything better to do there.” At least nobody got hurt.

13 Likes

Duly noted, and Roger That!

5 Likes

several books are laid out on the table, including a copy of the Qu’ran and the white supremacist novel The Turner Diaries. The 1978 novel depicts a “group of white supremacists attacks the Capitol in an effort to overthrow the U.S. government. Dozens are killed in the assault, including members of Congress and their staffers. But in the insurrectionists’ view, the greater victory is symbolic,”

Really puts a new spin on the events of 1/6 as if these people were LARPing that book.

18 Likes

Especially that it will go relatively unpunished for the GQP/KKKpublicans ring leaders in Congress/Senate.

8 Likes

What is that flag in the top right an the center on the table? The center looks Russian?

4 Likes

The current wave of white supremacists hold up Russia and Eastern Europe as models for white supremacy.

14 Likes

Oh for sure, just wondering what organization/ideology. I recognize the others. Not sure how the Saudi flag factors into this either. Likes the idea of a religious ethno-state?

5 Likes

No idea on that…

I’d say so.

7 Likes

Yeah, not just that, but also: “Making a terrorist threat” (what he was charged with) is illegal no matter what sort of incompetent nincompoop you may be.

Terrorist threats are still illegal acts that can cause real damage, even without the ability to actually carry them out,

(Also: Isn’t remote medical diagnosis by non-physicians considered Bad Form around here? No?)

5 Likes

A Saudi flag and what looks like a Quran in addition to Nazi shit and the Turner Diaries… a whole lot going on here.

3 Likes

FIFY

13 Likes

yeah I suppose maybe, misplaced commraderie over hating teh Jews?
I think @Bobo alluded to that notion further upthread.

8 Likes

Thank whatever powers may be that they caught the guy before he was able to do anything irreparable.

17 Likes

Top right is some sort of Falangeist flag- the “bound arrows” symbol is associated with Spanish Fascism.
As for the one in the middle, we really need someone who can read Cyrillic script to give us a clue on that. The orthodox cross and the death head indicate either Russian or Serbian extremists to me, which confirms the assumption that this is just a grab-bag of ethnonationalist symbols with little coherence beyond hate.

13 Likes

But the hair-do is a total loss, no saving that sh!t.

7 Likes

Texas.

Of course.

(deep disconsolate sigh)

IHTFP

4 Likes

That’s rather on-brand, really, since once you strip away all the vocabulary and get down to the relationship between the religio-state and the individual, the Christianists and the Islamists have an awful lot in common - especially the puritanism.

9 Likes