NerdFit: Why Techies Love CrossFit

No-one has ever said sacrifice form for reps in a gym I’ve been to. In fact I’ve only heard the opposite. Most of my coaches are weightlifters (one was looking to represent Wales in the recent Commonwealth Games). They encourage you to go hard - but to do so safely.

As for Rhabdomyolysis, Google (that fine medical resource) suggests that it can be caused by any strenuous exercise, and in particular jogging. Of course, my anecodes are not data - any more than anyone else’s are. I’m lucky to have very good coaches and a gym environment that’s supportive and challenging without being elitist.

Its a workout regime that uses elements of gymnastics and weightlifting, in a class based environment. It aims to provide variety in training, by using a range of different exercises, with a focus on intensity of output. I’m sure there’s an official explanation somewhere - but that’s how I’d describe it…

That was the part I didn’t like either. The idea that you could use health and fitness to find people who don’t know any better than to work until they drop is just gross.

4 Likes

That aside from that Amazon Exec…

Nerds like pecking orders? What kind of nerds is he talking to? The sheer concept is offensive to me.

Also holy sexism batman, I don’t particularly care to see women(not girls, that sounds super creepy) in yoga pants or booty shorts.

This is everything that’s wrong with tech culture. This macho hyper competitive horse shit needs to fucking go. I’m surprised BoingBoing ran this article.

Glad I already don’t shop at Amazon.

9 Likes

crossfit starts in gym and ends on facebook

2 Likes

for anyone having trouble grokking the mockery, consider this. (see also: http://gawker.com/my-life-with-the-thrill-clit-cult-1445204953)

what’s wrong with it? relaxation is cool, and few here would deny that masturbation is awesome!

however, when it becomes an established practice with associated rituals, it is a completely different thing, no? not everything has to be marketed, promoted, and hyped. that’s how i feel about masturbating; it’s how i feel about exercising; and it’s how i feel about having a good dinner without smartphones and google glass everywhere.

this has been a public service announcement. thanks for reading.

1 Like

Jogging doesn’t have a joke and pet name for Rhabdo. Crossfit does.

Coincidence? Yeeeeeeeah … Idon’tthinkso.

2 Likes

Crossfit seems to be about group think and doing exercises rapidly and incorrectly. I do olympic style lifting, and it is very difficult to do right. It is not difficult to do crossfit, because form doesn’t matter. The goal seems to be to get injured as quickly as possible. This does not appeal to technical folks. Crossfit is based on ideology, not science. I’m a scientist. I want to base my work in the gym on what was is known, on physiology and anatomy, on effective established practice, not on the slogans of a fitness craze.

3 Likes

Oh, and… reps for Jesus!

2 Likes

i’m glad people are exercising, but this article really reads like an advertisement for a book and crossfit. it can be both, just let us know it’s a sponsored post.

as for crossfit, i realize they aren’t the only ones out there that aren’t using good technique, but damn, they should. incorrect form, especially when you start adding more weight, can really screw you up. not just overexercise, but life altering, potentially deadly screw ups.

and that “amazon exec” sounds like a jerk. isn’t this an industry struggling with gender diversity?

2 Likes

CrossFit is a great way to exercise, providing you have a good trainer. And the people at my CrossFit are not meatheads and are a pretty diverse bunch.

What irked me about this article is that it’s about the inability of the tech sector (and SF Bay Area) to look beyond themselves. But their too into themselves to see it. It’s typical for a tech company to have an internal CrossFit. You don’t want to interact with the commoners, right? If you’re networking at CrossFit, which different than meeting people you might want to get to know outside of the gym, ,then you don’t belong there. Go play golf.

1 Like

I am exercising my abdominal muscles by having them contain fish & chips with mushy peas.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.