New ad depicts GOP plan to outlaw condoms

Originally published at: New ad depicts GOP plan to outlaw condoms | Boing Boing

7 Likes

As long as five corrupt people who cannot be removed from office say it’s Constitutional, I guess it’s OK with me.

/s

15 Likes

They really cast the role of the GOP Congressman well. The actor nails the part of every dried-out, self-righteous old white conservative dude who you just know is into something creepy or dodgy.

Also, anyone who thinks it’s ridiculous that the GOP would ever outlaw condoms hasn’t been paying attention. Most of us know how they plan on ending that story.

27 Likes

In overturning the law, Justice William O. Douglas wrote, “Would we allow the police to search the sacred precincts of marital bedrooms for telltale signs of the use of contraceptives? The very idea is repulsive to the notions of privacy surrounding the marriage relationship.”

So he’s okay with this happening to unmarried people?

13 Likes

He was casting things in terms that a 67-year-old white heterosexual male at a pinnacle of establishment power would be expected to in 1965. While I’m sure he acknowledged (and was probably okay with) the fact that unmarried people were having sex using contraceptives, he probably felt it was more befitting of the court’s dignity (and perhaps more effective) not to mention it in his opinion.

13 Likes

I’m sure the list of what’s not allowed is several pages long, with footnotes citing chapter and verse of the Bible.

9 Likes

…a crime to use “any drug, medicinal article, or instrument for the purpose of preventing conception.”
It would not be a stretch for a conservative court to consider many things as instruments:

• the pill and IUD (very obvious targets)
  • apps and other software to keep track of the cycle
  • any other coordination approximating the rhythm method
  • any law which outlaws marital “coercion” by the man (laws being instruments created by humans to control behaviour)
    They probably will consider a woman’s period to be a sign of Willful Termination Of A Future Human Being, and thus illegal. Every egg is sacred. Sperm, less so.
    Damn you, Margaret Atwood for writing their playbook! /s
11 Likes

I must not have been fully awake yet when I read it, I missed that that part was from 1965. Still just as wrong, but yeah, not unexpected for the time.

3 Likes

In the Ohio context it is worse. Our legislature was voted in on maps that our courts found unconstitutional. That legislature has scheduled a vote on a day we’re not allowed to hold elections, August 8, to further restrict citizen access to the ballot. Importantly the summary leaves out that in addition to a 60% threshold, you would have to get 5% of voters in all 88 counties as signatories to get it on the ballot. If any place is a pocket of resistance the measure is killed.

14 Likes

Ha ha, how ridiculous - in reality, the congressman doesn’t sit in the bedroom, he makes use of our modern surveillance society to stop and convict you using all your communications and online activity! (They’re totally going to outlaw contraceptives, though.) Oh wait, that’s actually so much worse…

4 Likes

People who are like “come on, that was a long time ago, no one would even think of doing that”
They would absolutely target contraception. And to a certain extent, that’s happened already because they have gone after health insurance mandates and the like.
Anything that can be a wedge issue can and will be used as such.
And just like abortion, no wealthy person will ever have to worry about being denied access.

13 Likes
5 Likes

This band was formed to help pay the legal fees of the Chicago Eight.

3 Likes

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt No GIF

The rest of the plan is even worse.

7 Likes

Watch for them trying to increase the scope of pharmacist conscience clauses in hopes of blocking this one.

11 Likes

The right is missing some good control methods to keep the populace in line. Intercourse should be set up by appointment only, maybe a twice a month limit. The dark ages had some great anti-masturbation devices for both genders. Maybe sperm detectors should be placed in homes so any prohibited behavior can be punished. Any LGBTQ rights will now be considered wrongs, not rights.
These sick bastards are just getting started I fear.

4 Likes

sex by proxy or hostile takeover.
it’s the “free market way”.

3 Likes

In my day, we just used a calendar, and a copy of our body, ourselves.

2 Likes

… unmarried people having sex was “fornication”

7 Likes

I’m moving to Ohio this week, and was planning to get my ID as soon as possible to be registered to vote. It’s frustrating to realize I almost certainly won’t be registered in time for this special election.

3 Likes