New disinformation series promotes terrain theory pseudoscience

Originally published at: New disinformation series promotes terrain theory pseudoscience | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I keep finding this book useful, when thinking about stuff like this (or for my own work, how all sorts of people embrace punk as an identity to mean mindlessly rebellious, or going against the “libural” mainstream…

https://global.oup.com/academic/product/a-nation-of-outsiders-9780199314584?cc=us&lang=en&

It is very much a twisting of the meaning of actual rebellion, against an oppressive system. These people are ignoring where the real oppression actual comes from…

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

Man, all this shit is just a straight up grift, isn’t it?

Pedro Laughing GIF by Brand MKRS creative agency

28 Likes

Ah! That reminds me. I should book mom’s and my booster shots. (I got the reminder a few weeks ago, but it’s been one thing after another.)

15 Likes

This is really all I can say about this bullshit stew:
Heidi Klum Wow GIF by Lifetime

15 Likes

overheard in the microbiology corridors: “Terrain theory* is to microbiology what social darwinism is to Biology”. That being the implication in both is if you’re in a bad way (sick or poor, respectively) it’s your fault and society can be relieved of caring. -sigh-

*cf Béchamp

29 Likes

So I guess germs are merely for decorative purposes…

10 Likes

The factors that created Covid, SARS, H1N1 are still in effect, we are getting more populous, temperatures are up, and we as a species have a lot of travel, including intercontinental travel. The next pandemic is not if, it’s when. One of the next pandemics will inevitably be worse, in infectivity, virulence or lethality. Idiots like these fighting against public health measures are going to get people killed. Again.

17 Likes

All apex predators face conditions that limit their expansion. Our greatest asset that has led to our incredible expansion is arguably our capacity for collective problem solving. I feel like our inability to act collectively on a scale to eradicate disease and mitigate climate change may be the limit to that advantage.

But you better bet I’ll keep fighting the good fight ( hopefully we can find a way to self-balance with the world. domination sure isn’t my goal for us.)

16 Likes

“bid adieu to victim consciousness,”

So this and “terrain theory” are yet more variations on the victim-blaming snake oil that’s been sold by hucksters for more than a century. Whether it’s this clown or RFK Jr., they never tire of it. It fits right into point 10 of Eco’s list of Ur-fascist characteristics: Contempt for the Weak.

17 Likes

“Kelly Brogan, an MD turned COVID denier” What does it take to have an MD’s licence revoked?

10 Likes

The history of science has been a long slow slog through centuries of simply trying to figure out how stuff works.

I’m not about to go back to mid-19th century medical practices on a whim, nor should public health policy.

10 Likes

I read “Terrain Theory” and immediately thought “Flat-Earthers”.

(Turns out I wasn’t that far wrong).

16 Likes

But does germ theory really make any sense? I mean, sure we know there are parasites like lice and fleas and worms that make you sick, and sure we know there are even smaller living things that you can’t see without a microscope. But microscopic parasites making you sick? How is anyone supposed to take something like that seriously?

6 Likes

But only after we unlearn.

Can those guys please unfuck?

I so want to unread, all of it.

And I want to unbelieve that they have a following.

10 Likes

the other side of that i think are overwhelmed people looking for some way they can maintain control over their lives.

believing that tiny invisible creatures can kill you is pretty scary. if you can ignore that, write it off as a conspiracy, and put all your efforts into only eating “pure foods” – the world is now less scary.

i think some people – for whatever reason – can’t cope, so believing in fantastical things helps them get through the day.

10 Likes

Terrain theory is sure… something.

I’m curious and frightened of what they might sell to each other instead of hand sanitizer

5 Likes

If only there were some way to someone shield yourself from inhaling them, or train your immune system to fight them off…say available at any pharmacy… :face_exhaling:

9 Likes

{ begin silly british empire accent }
terrain theory ??
you mean like plate tectonics?
mountains and rings of fire and subduction zones and all that ??
i am all over that stuff !!
i love it !
{ end silly british empire accent }

3 Likes

Related: If the Emperor of a state is a flat earthing member of the “We hate Fauci fanclub”, experts in public health are leery about working with you.

10 Likes

Thoughts and prayers. Maybe on a little fidget device.

2 Likes