New Doctor reveal on Sunday

squeeeeeeee! that is all.

9 Likes

Well, I liked Power of 3 reasonably well anyway.

That being said, being a good writer doesnā€™t mean being a good showrunner. A lot of people feel, with good reason, that RTD was a better showrunner than Moffat, but I maintain that RTD is an absolutely terrible writer (and that Moffat is a very good writer, right up until he runs out of ideas, which seems to happen very quickly). So I mention Cyberwoman less because it was terrible, and more becauseā€¦ well Moffat canā€™t write women, but his replacement is the guy responsible for the cyberbikini, so I donā€™t know if we can expect him to do better.

ā€¦ Come to think of it, wasnā€™t Hungry Earth the episode where the point out that Amyā€™s in a miniskirt every five minutes too?

That, and it felt to me like they tried too hard to sex up Dr. Who without actually making it sexy. Oh, and the not unconnected fact that no one seemed likable.

It did get better.

1 Like
12 Likes

You must be SO pleased then. I meanā€¦ spot on choice I say.

1 Like

Yeah, I donā€™t know. Dinosaurs on a spaceship is good fun. And I think Broadchurch is a great well written show, I think.

I am, but like any other Doctor, weā€™re going to have to see. Itā€™s also a combination of show runner, writers, and actors, of course.

7 Likes

Well, I guess Iā€™d better get back to catching up, then.

6 Likes

My fannishness would be regenerated if the next Doctor was a minority and they brought back the Rani (ā€˜cause she was kind of awesome), with a side of Susan Foreman? (okay, I donā€™t want to push my luck). And yes, I want a Captain Jack cameoā€¦Iā€™'m a simple man with simple needs and a simple man-crush :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

Iā€™ll take it!!! :man_dancing: :man_playing_handball:

Want Ginger for 14th doctor thoughā€¦

6 Likes

Everyone has a crush on Captain Jack. Which is fine, because Jack Harkness has a crush on everyone.

Iā€™m annoyed that they spent like 2 years teasing Clara as having some sort of connection to Susan, and then they just ā€¦ never did anything with it.

13 Likes

16 Likes

Carole Ann Ford is still alive. Itā€™s a little weird they never brought her back, except as a glorified extra in a couple of ā€œFive Doctorsā€ reunion stunts.

5 Likes

I understand the point, and it was not unexpected after both the master->missy thing and the re-release of the red-nose day special with Joanna Lumley as The Doctor, but the idea still seems forced to me. I think there is danger now of some too-imaginative writer or director ignorantly recapitulating some of the cringier moments of I Will Fear No Evil.

A Grauniad article quotes an editor of a fan magazine:

She will bring a freshness. She is younger than Peter Capaldi and, being a woman, she will have a different approach to the role.

Sheā€™s far from the first Doctor younger than Peter Capaldi, but I hope sheā€™s wrong about ā€œbring a different approach.ā€ Why should that be necessary? Just because sheā€™s a woman?

1 Like

I always thought her characterization tended to be inconsistent. Is she a collected, worldly genius? Or a confused, frightened child? Also it was weird that Ford was 23 and playing a 15 year old - except for the Five Doctors, where she was 43 and still playing a 15 year oldā€¦

As with many characters in Who, she finally came into her own via Big Finish:

4 Likes

I should certainly hope she does bring a different approach. Thatā€™s what every other actor has done. Thatā€™s what makes every incarnation unique. The only problem I see is that the original quote implies sheā€™d be bringing a fresh take on it just because, as you say, sheā€™d be a woman, rather than because sheā€™s a separate actor playing a new incarnation of the character.

8 Likes

Right, thatā€™s what I meant. Obviously all the actors have brought their own spin to the role, from callous and arrogant (Hartnell, Pertwee) to weak and weepy (Davison), but until Tennant the contents of the Doctorā€™s trousers didnā€™t play much of a role in the show. It would be great if that continued.

1 Like

Yeah, thatā€™d be nice. Even with Tennant the specific contents of said trousers werenā€™t relevant, just that they had some kind of contents.

Iā€™m a bit interested to see what they do with the companion. Will the Doctor switch to having primarily male companions, to keep the gender balance, or will they continue to be mostly women? Either would work fine, though Iā€™m not sure which one would piss off people more. Would those mad about a female Doctor be more angry if she was bossing around a man (as all incarnations tend to be at least somewhat bossy with their companions, Iā€™d expect this to happen), or more angry that there werenā€™t any men as lead characters?

The contents of his trouser pockets were always relevant. It was like a mini-Tardis in there.

I wonder how River Song will feel about it?

5 Likes

Oh I sooo wanna see an episode with 13, River, and the tardis as a person in it all at the same time. It would be hilarious. :smile_cat:

5 Likes

All I want is for the show not to suck anymore. I donā€™t care if the Doctor regenerates into a tree; please become interesting and riveting again!

3 Likes