New Doctor reveal on Sunday

Missy would kill to be there for that.

3 Likes

I actually thought the last season was pretty good. It had a few clunkers, yeah, but I felt like, with the possible exception of the end of the last episode, its highs were pretty high, and its lows were episodes that were just unremarkable. And I canā€™t think of a single season of the revived series that didnā€™t have its share of unremarkable or bland episodes.

5 Likes

Nice. Itā€™s been heavily hinted at recently.

Can you hear that? It almost sounds likeā€¦ yes, the wailing of broflakes.

Though itā€™s 2017 and iā€™m already preparing my inevitable reaction to the lack of any common decency in humanity when the death and rape threats start arriving.

9 Likes

Wellā€¦ umā€¦ I honestly donā€™t know if this is good or not but I guess Iā€™ll give her a chance.

Good riddance to bad garbage.

Thats the kind of thing that PR hacks have to say.

Theyā€™ve had 31 years to get used to the idea, since Sidney Newman suggested that Joanna Lumley be considered for the role (as well as Dawn French and Frances de la Tour) in 1986.

8 Likes

It wonā€™t stop 'em complaining but it was brave of the show runners to finally go with this. Though i feel like theyā€™re damned if they do and damned if they donā€™t really because youā€™ll get a certain section of our wonderful social media landscape complaining itā€™s just stunt casting for so called political correctness reasons. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Tom Baker said, when he left the show in 1981, something to the effect of ā€œcongratulations to the new Doctor, whoever he or she is.ā€

13 Likes

They all have a different approach to the role, though, so thatā€™s not unexpected.

3 Likes

Well, that only took 36 years.

3 Likes

I guess it depends on whether one thinks Emily Cookā€™s statement was meant to be fatuous.

With Missy they decided to lazily shoehorn the character into a traditional female villain stereotype, if they decide to do the same with the new Doctor at least let them choose an interesting, less traditional role model. Alas, sheā€™s too young to model herself on Joan Hicksonā€™s Miss Marple, who honestly I always pictured as a Time Lord.

In any event, it will be interesting to see what happens. Capaldi was the first Doctor in the new series that seemed like a real Doctor to me, it wouldnā€™t be any fairer to hold her to that standard as it would be to have expected Peter Davison to be just like Tom Baker.

2 Likes

Last we saw Clara she had stolen a Tardis. Thatā€™s nothing, at the moment, but there is still time.

1 Like

So, a realistic teenager then.

6 Likes

I think Moffat is a brilliant writer when he has a really strong editor/producer telling him what to cut and what to expand upon.

2 Likes

I liked Capaldi, wish he had better writers. (except that one in the castle, that was awesome)

5 Likes

I am so happy. Already missing Bill though. She was awesome. The crying of broflakes is hilarious though.

6 Likes

Poor broflakes - everything upsets their little world - Iā€™m also bracing myself for the inevitable threats. Our new doctor is going to have some headwinds. My husband, who is a complete die-hard Who fanatic (we have every episode extant, that includes every video and every sound track) is over the moon and canā€™t wait for the 13th doctor to begin. Iā€™m finding it a relief NOT to have yet another white dude. Again.

But, heā€™s not a broflake, heā€™s a Who fan. Here, her doctor will be judged on its own merits.

And yeah, the Rani was awesome. Iā€™ll never forget her and the first Master (Delgado) struggling and elbowing over the TARDIS console - hilarious!

5 Likes

Ah, a sort of George Lucas thing. That may well be the case, though even as the head writer he got some brilliant episodes out, such as ā€œHeaven Sent.ā€ And Iā€™d say most of his Season 5 work, when he was new at the job, was pretty good.

His main problem, as Iā€™ve seen it, is a tendency to lean a little too hard on stuff that doesnā€™t entirely make sense, and lay down more plot points than he can actually explain. When he focuses down on writing a single, self contained episode of TV, the end result is usually pretty good. Something that ties into a larger arcā€¦ well if itā€™s setting stuff up for later, youā€™ll probably be okay, especially if that setup is just a few side notes in an otherwise self contained episode. When itā€™s later, and youā€™re expecting that setup to count for anything, thatā€™s when youā€™re properly screwed.

Iā€™ve also gotten rather tired of him leaning on the showā€™s inherent weirdness as a crutch to excuse things that donā€™t make sense (ā€œWhereā€™d he get the cup of tea? Iā€™m the Doctor, just accept itā€) and metahumor. I mean, I like a bit of metahumor, but the Doctor seems to have practically gained Deadpool levels of self-awareness on occasionā€¦

3 Likes

That would have been Anthony Ainley, the fourth actor to play the Master. He and the Rani were indeed quite the odd couple.

1 Like

Did anyone else think Tatiana Maslany from Orphan Black would have made a great doctor? Iā€™m an unreconstructed unapologetic Tom Baker fan, and I like my doctors simultaneously serious dark and light quirky, from what I see of Jodie Whittaker she almost seems tooā€¦ dignified? for my taste. But Iā€™m happy to give her a chance! Looking forward.

2 Likes

Youā€™d think when they finally got something together that clicked they would run with it for a while.

1 Like