New Doctor reveal on Sunday

When Doctor Who showed up on public television (after Monty Python) I became a fan because I loved cheesy TV productions, sc-fi, and British things. I lost track of it after Tom Baker, until ‘New Who’ and my next Doctor Crush, Chistopher Eccleston. I’ve been a fangirl since, even when I criticized the writing, the plots, the casting, and Clara.
And Big Finish books filled in all my gaps with panache.

When they did the big TV show reveal for 12, and the Angel Islington turned out to be a fanboy, I had hope. Clara was still around, but she died eventually, and Peter Capaldi was more of what I wanted from a Timelord, and he wore Docs.
[We’re going to skip the whole shaking the fist at the sky and screaming “Moffatt!” every time he didn’t tie up story arcs, or made it too much a story about the companions. Or (sort-of)killed off Bill, my favorite companion ever.]

A new showrunner, a new Doctor, and lots to look forward to.
I get that misogynists can’t fathom a woman leading anything, let alone saving Earth multiple times, but really? This is sci-fi and fantasy, with time-and-space travelling aliens, and your sticking point is that there’s a female in the lead? Sigh.

And as for Jodie Whittaker - she brought a lot of emotional acting to Broadchurch, and from that smile in the teaser reveal, I think she can embody the Doctor. Also, I looked her up on IMDB, and there’s a lot of different roles and awards there. I’m looking forward to Christmas, and just hope that they don’t take over a year to get us new episodes!

6 Likes

I think you’re underestimating the depth of their commitment to misogyny! They are very serious about it… :wink:

And then there’s this BS:

She has… BOOBS! Hide the children!!! We can’t let them know the new Doctor has boobs!!! They’ll be traumatized by this news! /s

But seriously, why can’t they get over themselves.

They probably will! But we can hope not!

4 Likes

The Daily Mail, right? Oh, wait, The Sun. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Six of one, half dozen of the other! The Sunly Fail?

2 Likes

Both, and The Daily Mirror, Daily Express and Daily Star. I think the Mail is supposed to have also run nude/topless photos of other Doctors as well, though that hardly diminishes the skeeviness of it.

1 Like

Ahhh… there’s that cold comfort of inevitability. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

My husband sent me this today:

So, my Republican (super-right-wing) friends are posting about the new Dr Who. But not how you’d expect.
[1:47]
They’re all “Yeah, take that libtards!” Because it’s a woman, and they’re posting articles claiming that “SJW’s Complain That New Dr Who Isn’t Black Trans”

I’m dying.

7 Likes

I had to go hunting on that one…

Hilarious. So they took this tweet as “trashing” the new doctor:

While completely ignoring the preceeding tweet:

(Oh, and as support they link to a twitter search for “doctor who poc”… where most of the posts about the new Doctor not being PoC come from anti-SJW people claiming that SJWs have a problem with it. The rest of the results are generally “I really hope the next Doctor after this one is…”)

5 Likes

I don’t know, I’d have thought examples from fiction would have prepared us all…

2 Likes

Not to mention that they nailed small-town politics, wherein positionship on [objectively minor committee], or the colour of the neighbours’ roses is serious enough business to warrant murder.

Back on topic, the only downer to this news is the same one for women-led stories and ventures anywhere: it has to be better than good, or the cries of “see, women-led is a failure/doesn’t sell” (even if the cause of the failure lies somewhere else) will prevent another shot at it for dog-knows how long, while more men fail over and over.

2 Likes

If anyone is complaining that the Doctor is a woman, they’re watching the show wrong.

4 Likes

I really should listen to the Big Finish stories. I’ve heard they’re great, especially McGann and C. Baker.

4 Likes

BTW, I am really glad the rumours I heard were wrong.

1 Like

Which ones?

1 Like

My biggest yuks were a few posts I read saying that the BBC only casted Whittaker because she looks like Hillary Clinton! I guess if one stares into the abyss for too long, anyone or anything could look like HRC. And this was from frothing reactionaries who complained that “feminists are terrible people for politicizing all the fun things!”

Anyway, I am avoiding most of the reactions and the feckless speculation content mill on YouTube, just as I do with rumors and theories about Star Wars, Marvel, etc.

1 Like
1 Like

Ah! I remember that now. I’m glad, too. I’m sure they had people planting rumors to keep people off track.

1 Like

That photo makes her look amazingly like both of her parents.

3 Likes

I really need to get more of Colin Baker’s run myself. Everyone tells me it’s brilliant, and finally does right by the actor. Sadly, due to the expense of the stories, and my obsession with McGann, I’ve only heard a couple.

I can vouch for McGann’s stories though, and I think there’s some stories for free on Spotify now as well.

3 Likes

Baker was hilarious in The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot

2 Likes