New documentary on elite athletes who went vegan

What? Turkey’s a vegetable!

5 Likes

We are all hypocrites, but we’re also far too good at ignoring cognitive dissonance.

5 Likes

Yes, not to mention using (as some always do in these threads) every instance that veganism comes up to point out what hypocritical fools they be, har har har!

Which often seems to translate to, “Let’s try to drown out discussion of the ills associated with that thing I want to do with no guilt whatsoever, eating meat wherever and whenever I want, damnit!”

7 Likes

Seriously, how the fuck is that vegan? It’s not even vegetarian.

I guess he’s vegan in the same way that I ‘quit doing drugs’ in college, which meant I only smoked weed.

3 Likes

I met a man in Italy who claimed, “I don’t drink”. Apparently grappa in his morning espresso, a glass of wine with lunch, and several more glasses with dinner didn’t count.

2 Likes

Wait… Turkey isn’t vegan?

8 Likes
7 Likes

The passion that diet choices can trigger is something to behold eh? Alas, I was not an exception in my angrier finger-pointing youth.

In the unlikely situation that anyone ever asks my opinion today, I offer Michael Pollan’s 7 word gem: Eat food; Not too much; Mostly Plants

4 Likes

vrg

7 Likes

i was raised vegetarian for a bit in my younger years, ate meat awhile, and was vegan for just shy of a decade. i had a few periods where i was a bit preacher, especially in my early youth, but mostly i’ve always been okay with people eating whatever seems to be best for them.

i eat meat now and these days, only if asked, i encourage people to eat as much nutritionally dense natural whole foods as possible. lots of veg, greens, balanced protein, fibre, carbs, fats, some fruits, everything as fresh as possible. i agree, it is pretty simple. fresh good quality food.

depending on how one tollerates them and how they are sourced and prepared:
meat, dairy, eggs, beans, grains, all seem to be fine if done healthily, and consumed in levels that one tolerates. i do fine with all of them. i especially love fresh seafood, a lot of it raw or lightly cooked, depending on where and what. hurray for omnivores.

You assume that all vegans share the same motives for their diet. I eat a vegan diet because meat simply doesn’t appeal to me. Spirulina pain thresholds are irrelevant.

5 Likes

Pea protein powder is the recommended substitute for vegans.

3 Likes

i recently got sucked into this argument at home. My son said his GF ate mostly vegan the day after I watched her eat half a chicken. I guess it is sort of like like Hillary calling herself a liberal…

2 Likes

11 Likes

I think eating meat is unethical.
I regularly eat meat.

I don’t think there’s any hypocrisy or contradiction, I try to live an ethical life but I accept that I’ll do things that are unethical. I think it’s better to accept that I have moral failings than to rationalize my unethical actions as something ethical.

3 Likes

They sound tofurious!

2 Likes

Blockquote But plant proteins are incomplete protein chains

Sorry, bb4me, but that “incomplete protein” myth has been debunked so many times and in so many places that even Frances Moore Lappé, the woman who came up with the theory in the first place, has retracted it and admitted her mistake.

11 Likes

That is both ludicrous and fallacious. They are not “doping” with whey protein, and should you pay for it, they’d all submit to a drug or dietary test (as they’ve mentioned numerous times in videos and elsewhere).

The idea of “complete proteins” has been thoroughly debunked.

5 Likes

Maybe I’m misunderstanding something, but that article is ridiculous and makes it seem like there’s a “complete protein conspiracy”. It doesn’t prove anything. There’s literally no supporting science cited. I’m not sure what they think they’re debunking.

Of course the original author would retract her support for the idea that things need to be eaten at the same time to make complete proteins that’s as ridiculous as saying you have to eat all of the vitamins and minerals at the same time otherwise they don’t work.

That doesn’t change the fact that you have to “combine” different plant based protein sources throughout your entire diet.

That doesn’t change the fact that you have to “combine” different plant based protein sources throughout your entire diet.

I also thought that this was true, but after reading the post and digging a bit deeper, there does seem to be a prevalent myth here about the incompleteness of plant proteins (not a conspiracy), and thinking does seem to have shifted over the past few decades. Of course it’s better to have a varied diet, but for many plant-based protein sources, what you wrote above doesn’t seem to be true.

Take a look at this article, which lays it out more clearly than the one linked to in the original post.

Vegetarian Protein Is Just As ‘Complete’ As Meat, Despite What We’ve Been Taught

4 Likes