New Florida Tea Party Congressman Performs as Expected

Addressing two senior U.S. officials, U.S. Rep. Curt Clawson (R-Fla.) said this:

“I’m familiar with your country; I love your country […] Anything I can do to make the relationship with India better, I’m willing and enthusiastic about doing so.”

Yes, they had funny foreign-soundin’ names. The most cringe-worthy part is that he kept going on about how much he knew about India—including his favorite Bollywood films—apparently oblivious that the people he was addressing were actually representatives of his own government even after they tactfully tried to correct him.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-clawson-india-house-tea-party-20140725-story.html

1 Like

5 Likes

Recall him already…

But, he’s representing the people of his district exactly as they want him to.

Recall Florida instead!

6 Likes

Bugs Bunny has got you covered…

9 Likes

Wait, he said he likes a foreign country? After him, boys!

7 Likes

Well, see, it’s okay to like a foreign country, as long as it’s people don’t come here too much, and take our jobs, and of course they need to open up their markets to us, and do whatever we tell them in terms of foreign policy… But don’t KNOW too much about said foreign country, because reasons. It seems like he knows the exact right thing about India, and that is about economics…

4 Likes

I wonder if the rest of the Congresscritters would be willing to censure him for stupidity and embarrassing them.

2 Likes

Are you joking? The stupid faction controls the Congress right now. They’re arguing over whether to impeach the President for delaying a law that they demanded be delayed.

6 Likes

Well, at least they’re being consistent. He does have dark skin and a non-European sounding name.

3 Likes

He just joined congress a few weeks ago via special election because his predecessor got caught buying cocaine from an undercover officer. Apparently representatives from that district have a very bad track record of knowing when they are talking to people who work for the U.S. government.

6 Likes

Just to be more explicit about it, it’s just fine if those foreigners take our jobs, as long as they do it from within their own country.

I…I just don’t get the people who throw a fit about Hispanic people doing the menial labor (ever notice how few of them have problems with Eastern European illegals, it’s almost always brown people?), but companies shipping all the other jobs oversees is peachykeen.

4 Likes

this. fucking this all day.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s all kinds of BS. Really, I think it’s just a way to cover up their own jingoism and to put it in more acceptable terms. For many people, it’s perfectly acceptable to bitch about jobs, but they pitch a fit if you call them racist. Yet, as you note, it’s nearly always Latinos. I can’t even think about the nastiness coming out of people’s mouths about the (as my friend said today) refugee crisis. They are children for Christ’s sake. Apparently some woman on the radio was so worked up about it, that she would rather have them shot at the border than to let them in. Talk about a humanity fail.

2 Likes

It’s a perfectly consistent position if you happen to be a xenophobic corporatist. All the benefits of using the poorest people capable of doing the job to reduce labor costs, none of the unpleasantness of having to look at them…

2 Likes

Oh, dear God. I hadn’t heard such talk; I’m glad I haven’t. I can’t even imagine what drives a person to think that way, to think that people who aren’t inside the U.S. borders and aren’t U.S. citizens deserve far less respect than the average American shows a dog.

3 Likes

Agreed. It’s disgusting. But this is where the discourse of nationalism has taken us. Blame the 19th century for that I guess. :frowning:

Nah, I say blame the so-called elite, who I term scum, since they’re so keen on making dregs of the rest of us.

1 Like

sure… doesn’t that go without saying? I’m just pointing out the role nationalism plays in these sorts of things.

1 Like

Well, quite obviously not, eh?

Otherwise we’d have enough people blaming the scum, and a revolution.

1 Like