New Georgia elementary school logo looks strikingly similar to Nazi Eagle

Originally published at: New Georgia elementary school logo looks strikingly similar to Nazi Eagle | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Well, shit. I have had enough of these “coincidences”, how about you guys?

55 Likes

“…this design was based on the U.S. Army colonel’s eagle wings…”

Yeaaah, that’s not much better, frankly, even if it were true*. Militaristic eagle logos aren’t exactly appropriate for an elementary school, whatever military they’re (ostensibly) based on.

*Although there are some similarities, it’s closer to the Nazi eagle, and generally way more fascist looking than the US military design.

31 Likes

I understand they were going for a stripped classical look. They shouldn’t have, since the entire movement is tarnished by association with the nazis.

Here’s what the colonel insignia looks like.

If you apply the rules of stripped classicism, which, again, you shouldn’t do, you get something that looks fascist.

Maybe a more natural look?

8 Likes

In a vacuum, it looks rather innocuous. The US has a long history of eagle motifs (both in government/military and for decoration, logos, sports teams, etc.). But if the school in question has had a history of antisemitism, then best to just avoid anything that could possibly be construed as such.

8 Likes

Notably, the Georgia eagle isn’t patterned after the Reichsadler of the Nazi German state, that looks to the L, but the Parteiadler of the Nazi Party that looks to the R.

1 Like

what designer did this? What designer doesn’t check?

A nazi designer

7 Likes

I guess you could say the same of the SHIELD logo but then again it turned out that organization was rife with fascists so it’s probably not the best defense.

shield

20 Likes

There’s a possibility they might be going for future fascism instead of the historical type.

17 Likes

Is that true about the direction the eagle is facing? If it is, I actually find that a pretty cool use of subliminal imagery.

1 Like

Even if it’s not intentional, it looks rigid, militaristic, fascist and creepy. Someone should have been able to pick up on those vibes even if they didn’t make the Nazi connection.

20 Likes

8cd40893eeeb9561ce8fe6414cb9f6cc

16 Likes

Why does an elementary school even need a logo anyway?

25 Likes

There a house in my area that flies a flag with a geometric eagle in a white circle surrounded by a field of red. I thought it was suspiciously nazi-ish, so I looked it up. To my relief, I learned it was the flag of the United Farm Workers.

17 Likes

That kind of symbol has been making a comeback in recent years.

10 Likes

There are more wholesome images to hide

images (6)

19 Likes

Service guarantees citizenship!

16 Likes

The clothing brand Boy London was founded in 1976 during the Punk era, when it was pretty common to use Nazi imagery for provocation, e.g. the Sex Pistols’ Sid Vicious was wearing a Swastika shirt.

Anyway, each time I see someone wearing ‘Boy London’ I want to punch them.

6 Likes

Being bad at your job in a potentially fascist way is obviously worse than just being bad at your job; but does this set of logos just see weirdly unsuited for purpose even aside from any historical implications?

The logo on the left is just a disaster(can we achieve excessive busyness purely through starkly simplified geometry? Apparently we can; and while throwing in an incongruous pseudo-cursive font that appears nowhere else!); but the branding overall just looks like it was thrown together for a NATO wargame that needed an opposing force that wasn’t a thinly veiled Warsaw Pact reskin; or some made-for-TV sci-fi that needed either a serious-looking organization to play either antagonist or morally ambiguous protagonist.

It’s especially odd for an elementary school. It’s pretty common for high schools to have bellicose logos that reflect their football team; but those are both for schools that have competitive sports teams and tend to be bellicose in more or less exactly the opposite way these ones are: the graphic design vibe tends toward unthreatening or even slightly goofy; but the text proudly informs you that this is the home of the Fighting Mole Rats or whatnot; while these ones could hardly be less textually threatening; but just drip blandly hostile graphic design.

12 Likes

Band Name!!

Terrible Bauhaus covers.

17 Likes