New House speaker nominee Tom Emmer already doomed with 26 "no" votes

And why should Democrats do that? For Emmer? The guy who posted a video of himself on social media a few years ago shooting a machine gun with the hashtag FIREPELOSI? That Tom Emmer? There is a better chance of 10 asteroids slamming into the Earth one after the other tonight.

11 Likes

Maybe it’s time to take a cue from the ancient Athenians and get an actor, then.

2 Likes

Also, that tweet about Democratic leadership working to get Emmer elected was from Dean Phillips. Rumor is he is about to announce he’s challenging Biden for the Democratic nomination for President. He already has a campaign bus with “Phillips for President” on the side that was spotted today. I don’t think he’s a reliable source.

4 Likes

I’m still sticking by my bet with my friend that it will end with Elise Stefanik ending with being the next Speaker.

She’s MAGA enough for the MAGAts, and she hasn’t pissed off the moderates like every other Chaos Muppet in the MAGA wing of the party has.

Marge is big nope.

It shouldn’t be surprising but it’s weird that they’re still trying to relitigate the same-sex marriage thing. Not long ago it felt like most Republicans had finally given up that fight in the face of overwhelming social acceptance and had moved on to demonizing trans people instead.

14 Likes

This is where McCarthy selflessly steps in to temporarily get Trump in as speaker, while behind the scenes he guts the works in order to permanently stay as temporary speaker. That should work because…

:wink:

1 Like

They’re gonna keep trying until there is no more gay marriage. They will keep trying until there is no more access to birth control. They will keep tyring until their is no safety net except for those that they like. They will keep trying until there is a return to segregation. They will keep trying until there are no more trans people left. They will keep trying until there are no more immigrants, except those doing hard, manual labor in pretty much slave labor conditions. That’s the country that they want.

21 Likes

In fact, I would be surprised if they didn’t try to bring back slavery if they were ever allowed to get that far on their queue. Fascists offer nothing but struggle and oppression and so can never be satisfied.

10 Likes

Of course, they’d rebrand it as something else… freedom work or some such shit.

And that’s the major reason why fascist states don’t work in the long run - they will eventually collapse under the weight of their own contradictions. because a state based on violence, bullying, and enriching the few at the expense of the many isn’t a stable country.

13 Likes

Or maybe they’d just bake discrimination into our criminal justice system, and make forced labor in prison legal…oh…wait…shit.

9 Likes

Have they tried threats?

1 Like

My wife (black) and I (white) have been telling any white folks we know who will listen that they’re coming for Loving for a while now. They used to just roll their eyes at us. Now some are starting to actually realize we might be right about it.

18 Likes

… they’re all just “groomers” now

Anything weird where kids might see it is a crime

3 Likes

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

Of course, there will be an exception for people like Clarence Thomas, but otherwise…

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

If anything doesn’t finally convince us that we need to clean up our systems and purge them, once and for all, of all the baked in bigotry, it’s these past few years… We gotta fix our shit, or we’re done…

4 Likes

Someone like ronnie rayguns?

3 Likes

I was thinking of Phye of Paeania, but I guess that is more their speed.

6 Likes

… Considering if one traces back, He’s the one who really gave the current situation a good hard shove back in the 80’s.

7 Likes

If a couple dozen Republicans would vote for Jefferies in exchange for prized committee assignments and maybe nicer House office spaces then they could have a majority that could shut down the hardliners. The MAGAts could call for endless no-confidence votes (like they did to repeal the Affordable Care Act) but it would all be for nothing.

1 Like

Well, they show no sign of doing that.

The whole party is rotten, with fascists and cowards.

9 Likes