New iPad Pros are coming out of the box already bent

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/28/new-ipad-pros-are-coming-out-o.html

2 Likes

The release of the company’s latest crop of iPad Pro tablets, unfortunately, seems to have fallen into line with this new quality control status quo

Did they re-hire Gil Amelio without telling anyone?

5 Likes

Who has that cartoon of the dog in the middle of the fire?

1 Like

Don’t worry. Soon iPads will be so amazingly thin you won’t be able to see them. Or touch them. Or hold them. Or weigh them. And the box will be beautiful and elegant. Will it be more expensive? Hey, you gotta pay a premium for a two-dimensional platonic square of space.

10 Likes

I purchased one for cartooning and drawing. Using Procreate, the device has seriously upped my output and creativity. It’s an amazing piece of technology and I love it.

That said, it is definitely too thin. I happen to own an iPhone 5c with a plastic back. I use no case since I’ve bought it. The plastic is extremely durable and absorbs the shock from drops very well. Anybody with a newer iPhone that sees mine is impressed with it.

Apple has innovated some great durable designs, but that’s just not in the cards right now. The thin fetish hopefully will run out of steam eventually. Consumers should really clamor more for durability. Got to get the word out! If enough of us customers Banded together maybe we could get some concessions in their design. :rainbow:

For now I’m just treating mine very carefully, and plan on buying a speck solid plastic case when they come out in January. When all else fails there is me as a belligerent and idiotic customer in the apple store, using my apple care to the fullest to get what I need. It hasn’t failed me yet.

6 Likes

6a00d834515bc269e20105371c5035970b-800wi

14 Likes

will they reconsider carbon fibre now…

2msesp

9 Likes

Processor

Chipset is a different thing.

And it wasn’t so much that Apple was throttling the processor. The CPU was throttling itself, it was just getting too hot and limiting performance to manage heat. Which is a normal safety feature on all processors.

It’s the same make it small no matter what approach that leads to bending. They put a powerful, hot processor in a very restricted chassis. Then hamstrung cooling to keep fan noise down. They were able to fix it with more aggressive fan software, at the cost of noise. And spun it as a bug.

2 Likes

Cop: Well that’s a nasty accident you caused. I’ll have to write you a ticket for failing to yield.
Driver: I don’t understand why you’re giving me a ticket. I was driving exactly one mph below the speed limit, this car has the best brakes available, I have perfect vision, and I have excellent reaction time.
Cop: uhhhhhh…

Apple: Hey! People also buy distressed jeans!

2 Likes

Apple makes the best products

/s

2 Likes

*not the original but i do love a gif

2 Likes

So the Reality Distortion Field is bending their products now? I knew it was strong, but dang.

4 Likes

Most apple consumers have Stockholm syndrome. And crapple knows it and is laughing all the way to the bank

1 Like

Breaking News: Apple announces the limited edition iPad Pro Dali.

11 Likes

4 Likes

But being an iPad, it might hopefully still have a 3.5mm headphone jack. Or have they already removed it from those too?

1 Like

It’s the non-Euclidean model. Works great in other dimensions.

2 Likes

Removed because the device is now too thin for it. :roll_eyes: