New iPad Pros are coming out of the box already bent

Oh, shit, that it so yoinked!

Gotta say, among the Holy War Threads, at least the Apple topics have the best snark.

3 Likes

iSnark?

2 Likes

Well, you are the expert! :wink:

Is that all today’s iPads or just the pro-bendyPad?

I let my Apple Pencil 1 sit around too long at 0% charge and it never charged again. Out of warranty by a month.

Just the new face ID equipped models with edge-to-edge screens. Source for reason: last paragraph of this DF post:

1 Like

Care and feeding of li-ion batteries 101: do not store a discharged device long term unless you want to kill the battery. If you aren’t going to be using it for a while, always charge the battery back up. Ideally charge the battery to 50-75% before storage, but 100% will do if you can’t easily monitor charge levels.

1 Like

No, that’s not a valid interpretation of the quoted response.

If something the size of an iPad had 0.4mm of runout evenly distributed across its height or width, you would not perceive that unaided. You’d have to set it on a perfectly flat shiny surface or something, and the 0.4mm shadow gap would still be difficult to see (you don’t have to be a professional metrologist to realise this). If that figure is accurate, then the response is entirely reasonable.

Where people are claiming that their iPads were visibly bent out of the box, that would mean a deflection of considerably more than 0.4mm. So a more defensible interpretation of the Dan Riccio quote would be that he is agreeing that you should return your iPad in that case.

Whether that is in fact a real issue or not, I don’t know, but tech blogs like the Verge are literally the last place I would look for realistic reporting on Apple QA issues.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.