New Jersey's Dr. Oz doubles down on mocking a stroke victim

The fact that he dropped medicine to become a TV celebrity and snake oil salesman tells us that he didn’t find the profession particularly rewarding.

8 Likes

Makes a good double feature with this one

5 Likes

That’s the thing. Trump’s “zingers” aren’t clever or fast.

They’re just mean.

And people love that it’s mean. The meaner the better, the crasser the better.

They’ll celebrate dumb shit as if it’s some sort of ultimate, genius win state.

Meanwhile the actual response from everyone else is “that is gross and stupid” because it’s gross and stupid. It’s middle school bullshit.

10 Likes

Something I read years ago: Surgery squeamishness is overcome by imagining that patients are mannequins.

4 Likes

There’s another type touched on in The Hospital. The incompetent Dr. Wellbeck (described by George C. Scott’s character as “a buccaneer”) places his portfolio above his patients.

3 Likes

He didn’t.

He’s still on Columbia’s staff in some capacity last I checked. He was a practicing surgeon until a few years ago, and for a lot of the time he was on TV he held board positions with organizations promoting “integrated medicine”. The term of art for “we put quackery in your regular medical system so herbalists can get that sweet, sweet medicare money”.

He even held a chair position in an actual integrative medicine center at a hospital for years. Spent lots of time lobbying for policy support for Alternative Medicine as well.

It’s more the opposite. He used his TV career to boot strap CAM into regular medical contexts.

6 Likes

Dunning-Kruger effect, I believe.

3 Likes

This is not the one multiverse where that movie was well received.

2 Likes

Fetterman responded.

Brittany Yanick, a spokesperson for Oz, responded to Fetterman’s decision not to debate by calling Fetterman "a liar, a liberal, and a coward.”

“Ok, so when will he debate?” she added. “He won’t ever say — not even in his latest whiny statement.”

She seems nice.

14 Likes

Dr Strange - first movie

5 Likes

As my pedantic son will quickly tell anyone who will listen, the first Dr Strange movie was made in 1978.

I didn’t see the latest Multiverse of Madness movie but if one of the alternate Dr Stranges wasn’t played by the 70’s guy that was a big missed opportunity.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.