New Jersey's Dr. Oz doubles down on mocking a stroke victim

Originally published at: New Jersey's Dr. Oz doubles down on mocking a stroke victim | Boing Boing

9 Likes

This sort of thing makes me wonder what kind of bedside manner he had back when he was practising legitimate medicine. Somehow I think the terms “condescending” and “arrogant” were frequently used by the patients whose lives he saved.

28 Likes

If this trend holds we may not need to rely on Joe Manchin anymore.

24 Likes

Oz has taken to outright channeling his buddy, Trump

Oz is a bit like Ted Cruz, in that he desperately WANTS to channel Trump. They both want to be able to deliver the zinger, to make the crowd clap and cheer at their cleverness, to entice them to join in on the mockery of others.

But they lack the dark charisma (which Trump APPARENTLY has, given the way he holds supporters in his thrall. I don’t see it) to pull it off.

So all they’re left with is the neediness and cruelty. It’s not a good look.

26 Likes

…or Sinema

16 Likes

He was a surgeon. Surgeons are renowned for their horrific bedside manner, which is because bedside manner is far less important for surgeons than the sort of confidence that comes from arrogance.

13 Likes

There’s this movie I once watched…kinda along those lines. Dude was “the” surgeon, suuuuuper arrogant and disdainful, and I want to say disrespectful to his girlfriend (??) as well. Then he got in some horrible accident because, of course, arrogance translates into the ability to handle a super expensive performance car on winding mountain/coastal (?) roads in the rain. Lost the use of his hands or something…I dunno. Wasn’t very sympathetic so I hit eject and moved on to a different show. Anyone recognize the setup? TIA

16 Likes

41 Likes

The inherent irony makes it a mini-genre. This is the one I remember, starting a well-cast William Hurt as the arrogant jerk.

10 Likes

“Doctor Strange” (2016) comes to mind, although I wouldn’t be surprised if something similar happened in other movies as well.

Now, if Dr. Strange was running in Pennsylvania instead of Dr. Oz, that might make for an interesting election campaign. But for all his faults, I doubt that Steven Strange would run as a Republican.

10 Likes

I’d vote for a fictional Marvel character before I’d vote for Oz.

15 Likes

I’m no fan of Oz but didn’t Dr. Strange’s hubris literally destroy his entire universe in a couple of the timelines/multiverses?

9 Likes

ben-carson-they-know

9 Likes

He’s rich enough that he might consider it, but I doubt that the sorcerer thing is going to work out with them in the long term.

I wonder if they are any better in Britain, where the title for a surgeon is mister (yes, even for women).

Maybe not though, as they often take offence at being called doctor.

8 Likes

They love Grand wizards.

26 Likes

I guess…Trump talks as if his zingers are the most brilliant things ever said, even though they’re all things like “Sleepy Joe” and “something going on there”. For most people it’s hard to talk like that when your material is that pathetic, and maybe that gives the game away.

7 Likes

Apocryphal story of a UK consultant surgeon saying to his patient, whose life he is about to save via surgery: “I am the closest thing to God you’ll ever meet in the flesh” (Another version is “to all intents and purposes I am God in a white coat as far as you are concerned”)

5 Likes

Yes, it did - but I’d still vote for him over Oz. Fetterman is a big loveable doof, but he also is an interesting mixture of the anti-politician, and the progressive liberal values that are important to me.

9 Likes

Since they’re just glorified barbers…

5 Likes

“Vote Dr. Oz so the resulting damage stays in this solar system” sounds about right to me.

5 Likes