New software separates vocals and instruments in recorded music

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/05/new-software-separates-vocals.html

3 Likes
7 Likes

And apparently it only works on Real Audio files.

3 Likes

Summing the right and left channels and is sometimes a useful trick for removing vocals or anything panned to the center of a stereo mix (like those karaoke settings on stereos).

That’s phase method they mention. It is a rudimentary method but can be effective.

The results from this software is pretty good. Not 100% but still solid. The fast + free + effective mix could make it a game changer in the music reverse-engineering space. I wonder if individual engineers could collectively improve it by contributing full mixes as well as individual tracks in a way that would feed back to everyone using it.

4 Likes

For ages I thought that Mickey Dolenz sang the Freinds theme song, which sounds like a Monkees song anyway. I’m mean, if they could get Billy Joel to do the theme song to Bosom Buddies, why not?

2 Likes

I assume as much. I’m sure the results will sound less like some over-extended noise reduction plug-in with time.

And it’s one thing to phase out a center panned vocal but if we’re at the stage where software can easily isolate a vocal from a bounced stereo mix then that’s next level!

1 Like
2 Likes

Could I BE any more BELGIANS IN THE CONGO

I don’t think so.

Monkees%203%20nos

( :wink: )

I wonder if that was how this was made? Cause I need moar.

1 Like

I tried this out on the Decemberists song " Here I Dreamt I Was An Architect" and it worked fairly well.

When I was in high school, back in the mid-eighties, I built a Popular Electronics project that was supposed to provide this functionality, but it never worked. Glad to see something that does work some 35 years on.

Let me know when this spits out bass guitar sheet music.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.