New study discovers why coffee can protect the brain, and it has to do with the kind of roast you drink

Fitting, as my Facebook friends are spreading the meme that those who drink black coffee are psychotics. I counter that we are not, we just are just fucking sick and tired of you lot offering pollutants like soy milk to a perfectly good brew.

Now go away until I have finished my cup.

11 Likes

Nah, it totally makes sense. Complex molecules breaking down when heated and whatnot. Why the whole cold brew trend means jitterjitterjittery coffee that doesn’t taste like it.

Still drinking my espresso hot.

5 Likes

jan-in-the-pan

9 Likes

They caf-fiendishly kept her alive for this experiment, right?

4 Likes

Thanks for the link. Frustratingly, that article said nothing about what type of cancer/cancers acrylamide might increase risk of -> meaning I need to look at the original research = lazy journalism that sounds scary and therefore generates clicks. So much science writing is like that. I used to have to read a lot of medical journals and I learned from meta studies that coffee is good for the liver. (lots of studies correlating coffee drinking with lower rates of liver cancer and liver disease, both in groups who use and don’t use alcohol - Mormons make great study groups).

Given family history and my own taste for wine and beer, I’m more worried about liver cancer than say, lung or stomach cancer. I’ll continue to enjoy my coffee.

Now off to google acrylamide.

3 Likes

It sounds like a name from Monty Python.

Mrs. Krembil Brain Institute

4 Likes

It is a byproduct of cooking things that has been in our food for fucking ever basically any fried starch (french fires, chips, funnel cakes, etc) has acrylamide. Back when this first came up the reported danger was in factories where the workers were inhaling it directly. Breathing and eating are not equivalent vectors. If it caused serious increase in the risk of cancer we would have probably figured out a lot of things we should not be eating long ago. But can’t be too careful apparently.

8 Likes

Any dry cooking method that involves carbohydrates will form it. Baking, roasting, frying. Anything that results in golden brown and delicious. The dose makes the poison, and you literally cannot ingest enough from a cooked food source to cause problems.

5 Likes

Yes,

I"M DRINKING COFFEE RIGHT NOW!

21 Likes

Yeah, it’s pretty annoying, as buildings have the warning. And since carpeting, plywood, etc. have known carcinogens, every store and public building has the warning, so it’s totally meaningless. It didn’t cause anyone to make less carcinogenic carpeting or building materials… or if they did, it didn’t matter, because the warning was probably necessary for some other reason.

4 Likes

Dark roast coffee, freshly ground, and then Aeropressed!

4 Likes

b8413a9c4e46e367ac0dd2130b28fcd7

8 Likes
7 Likes

New study shows that new studies are not very conclusive and that science journalism sucks.

6 Likes

Changed my Avatar for this

4 Likes

4 Likes

The article says that, in vitro, using thioflavin as an aggregator (so we are already two giant leaps
away from pathological relevance) the best compounds inhibit aggregation at 10uM or 40uM

The medchemist in me goes … meh

5 Likes

Great, so now the very thing that causes cancer protects you from Alzheimer’s. Guess I’ll die clear minded and caffeinated!

5 Likes

Dear everybody (well docosc and TobinL in particular),
Thank you for saving me the effort of googling acrylamide myself. :hugs:

3 Likes

Same here. But I forget why.

8 Likes