New trailer for Disney's "Ralph Breaks the Internet"

The weakness in writing for the screen that has been trending upwards for a few decades now is the constant winking at the audience; relying on in-jokes, memes, and inelegant fourth wall breaking to get and keep the audience’s attention instead of building character or story.

This looks like one long wink. Though, is it technically a wink if the movie closes one eye and never opens it again?

And when those exceptions occur the results are often AWESOME.

4 Likes

I agree with you that this is the case for this, and most other movies.

I was specifically replying to @Braaainz and talking about the “prince’s” that go after the princesses in those Disney movies, since that is the joke we were discussing. The point I was trying to make was that this joke highlights a stereotype that is damaging to both parties that are involved. Ridiculing this is beneficial for women ánd men.

This is the case for most gender stereotypes and outright sexism. Both genders would be better off if it didn’t exist. Now, the majority of the time women take the most of the damage, but I think it is important to mention that as a whole men would also be better off without sexism and would will be helped by feminism. This is not a zero sum game.

1 Like

I’m sure I’ll be going to see this. Wreck-It Ralph was the first time I’d gone to see a first-run movie in a theater since Insomnia in 2002.

I’ll be totally honest: I really liked Wreck-It Ralph, despite it being a very different movie than the early trailers led me to believe (I didn’t expect the bulk of it to be set in Sugar Rush and expected more of a retro-romp through video game classics), but it’s very low on the list of movies I expected a theatrical sequel to. But I’ve been lucky enough to have gotten a bit of a peek behind the scenes, and I think it’ll really surprise people who’re expecting a whole movie of “ha ha, it’s Twitter, so there’s birds!” jokes and the like. Clever stuff.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.