New trailer for Solo: A Star Wars Story.... I have a bad feeling about this.

I’m eagerly awaiting Disney’s Chewbacca Musical

5 Likes

Disney’s just following the formula here. Sure, you’ll get nothing new or groundbreaking but the formula exists because it works.

1 Like

Fixed it for ya.

1 Like

In the case of Indiana Jones, they had at least established that he was very fond of the hat in the main films.

1 Like

C’mon everybody. I think speculation before the event tends to be a bad thing for most movies, regardless of their value upon viewing. Why not just wait until you see it and then say what you think once you have actually viewed it?

1 Like

i’m original star wars generation. i grew up on star wars. i still love star wars. i’ve loved everything disney has done so far, because it’s carrying it forward for a new generation, and expands the universe in interesting ways. that being said, i wasn’t excited about a han solo origin movie – but i’ll be seeing this, because it’s STAR WARS, dammit. i’ll be far more excited if they end up making a ben kenobi trilogy with ewan mcgregor, though. omg.

6 Likes

“Just when I think I’m out they pull me back in!”

Are you kidding? That looks awesome

1 Like

The thing that worries me if it will be too much of an origin story instead of an “early adventure” story.

In the Star Trek reboot, I really liked the USS Kelvin Act I – but the intermediate “Kirk’s a misfit who hates his step dad” stuff and the too-slavish need to get the Kobayashi Maru thing in there fell flat. Han Solo doesn’t need an origin story – so if that “join the navy and learn to fly stuff” is too much of the movie, I will worry. If it’s just Han Solo gets from young pirate to slightly older pirate plus winning the Falcon from Lando, I could be down with this.

1 Like

Because if it’s obviously going to suck, you can avoid seeing it and wasting your money and time? If it’s not obvious though, yeah, there’s no point speculating- I usually wait until some reviews come out and decide based on those.

Ron Howard directed it? Pass.
Clint Howard is cast in it? Pass.
Woody Harrelson is cast in it? Pass.

What is your beef with those three?

1 Like

Uh, I think it looks pretty darn good, actually. The latest trailer is the best so far.

1 Like

None of those are deal breakers. Howard is more than competent, esp. if the majority of the work has already been done. Harrelson is also an amazing actor. True Detective? And he was pretty great in Zombieland.

3 Likes

Ron is schmaltzy, has made some nice feel good movies.
Clint Howard has one character in any movie, the upper lip raised odd goof ball.
Harrelson is (imho) a one dimensional actor with limited range, between Natural Born Killers and 3 Billboards, same character delivery , different character types.

Just my .02 cents

I see middle-aged people who haven’t changed their style in 30 years all the time.
(p.s. I’m still wearing doc martens.)

6 Likes

Let’s back up a bit: could someone please explain to me why he, she, or [custom pronoun] liked “Rogue One?” I don’t mean to judge – if you enjoyed that film, I’m honestly curious to know what appealed to you about it. I found it poorly written, badly paced, inconsistent, and illogical. My subjective experience was that about halfway through watching it I was bored out of my mind and just wanted it to be over.

I don’t expect anything better from “Solo.” Please don’t get me wrong – I don’t wish this or any film ill. I desperately want it to be fun and exciting. There are already few enough Hollywood products matching that description.

But what I expect is:

1. A lot of well-intentioned but clueless attempts at fan service, like cameos by recognizable Star Wars characters not related to the story.
  2. Origin snippets, where we learn why Solo gets his familiar blaster (oh, right, they’re doing that) or jacket, when he started saying “I have a bad feeling about this,” where he got that garbage about parsecs as an apparent measure of speed, etc.
  3. Gritty new characters and situations that are completely out of place in the Star Wars universe.
  4. A lackluster caper plot that is some sort of generic heist awkwardly grafted onto a science fiction setting.

Remember decades ago when they made a prequel film called “Butch and Sundance: The Early Years?” One reviewer shrugged and said that it was an okay show, but that if the title had been “Hutch and Moondance: The Early Years,” everyone would’ve wondered why they were even bothering to tell the story.

And I really suspect that’s going to be my reaction to “Solo” – if the character’s name was “Ran Duo” or something like that, would anyone even care about this film?

I loved Rogue One so sure I will share what I liked.

1. We got some real ‘war’ in our Star Wars
  2. It filled in some nice holes regardless of them needing to be defined or not
    Q: where was any Rebel Fleet at the battle of Yavin? A: They were mostly wiped out/disabled days before)
    Q: Where did the name “Rogue Squadron” come from? A: A honor to the squad that helped bring the rebellion together and provided them their first major victory
    Q: Why did the empire make such a ridiculous flaw to the DS? A: it was secretly put there on purpose
  3. The rag tag cobbled together group on a dirty dozen suicide mission
  4. seeing why Darth Vader was actually a threat (and head canon allows me to factor why he moved like a bad ass murder machine in RO yet a few days later on the Death Star was moving like an old man: he clearly over extended himself in RO and was paying for it physically a few days later.)
  5. Donnie Yen and his hetero life partner
  6. K2-S0 being one sarcastic salty robot
  7. Seeing a good star wars story that didn’t focus on a predestined to be great dirt farmer with daddy issues playing with a laser sword
  8. Bonus: getting to use cut x-wing/y-wing pilot footage from ANH tying it all in
9 Likes

(I’m wearing some right now.)

5 Likes

Me too, right now.

6 Likes