New years resolution: getting fit

Haha it really is relative. There are some pro fighters in my gym and their stamina is on a whole other level. Leading up to a big fight, most of them will go to a fight camp for 6-8 weeks where they train for 6 hours a day minimum for 6 days a week. I tried to hang once and I was completely gassed out by the time they went through half of their day’s routine.

But the encouragement there is that, on the whole, they’re normal people like you and me. Barring any big medical issues, anyone can reach that level of endurance training. World-class talent is another story, but in terms of fitness, pretty much everyone can be healthy.

I think the key is to find a form of fitness that you genuinely enjoy. I’ve tried all kinds of sports and work out regiments but they never stuck because ultimately, I found them to be a chore. I’ve loved combat sports ever since I was a kid. There’s no way I’d be doing all this if I didn’t love Muay Thai.

Part of it is also the source of motivation. I’ve tried to motivate myself to get fit for the sake of being fit and getting fit to run a half-marathon, but neither of those reasons stuck. When I focused on becoming a better fighter though, that stuck. It made the drudgery of running 5 miles a day and doing all that monotonous conditioning bearable.

5 Likes

I’ve taken to getting off the subway a stop or two early and walking the rest of the way…

5 Likes

Jan. 8: 146lbs

Hmm. Not convinced that’s not noise. But still, no beer this week, no alcohol all working week, and I’ve gotten out for a run and a couple of gym sessions. So it’s a start.

10 Likes

So checkup with figuring out the blood pressure drugs dosage was today. 209lbs, which is less than last time. And way less than the 220ish from a few months ago.

Also when I am in the office I have been using the ‘take a break now’ ergonomic thing to lock the workstation and go down and up the stairs so I do that at least 3 times a day. So 6 flights of stairs and damn it still makes my knees hurt but it is effective easy exercise at work.

5 Likes

I’m behind the times here, but you guys have to be at least as fun a get-fit club as you are a book club, so I’m in too! The scale’s busted, but I’m 6’2", in the neighborhood of 230 lbs, and 46 years old, so I really have to bust some ass. I was 140 lbs from age 16 to 25, which is scrawny as hell for my height, so I’d like to be near 180 or so.

I suspect the first step will be just laying off the Dr Pepper. Also, my wife’s getting me a treadmill desk since I’ve enjoyed my standing desk so well this past year, but we won’t order it until I get a new office. Today was my last day on Season One of Fuller House, so I gots to find a new gig soon. We’re also preparing to move (only a mile or so away), so I’ll be very active in cleaning house, packing, painting, landscaping, and getting our old hovel spiffed up to put on the market, and that ought to help.

But really, I suspect laying off the Dr Pepper altogether would be nearly half the job.

12 Likes

Be wary of caffeine withdrawal migraines… I punted on caffeine once and found out it was the major driver for me wanting to drink cola all the time.

2 Likes

You all are inspiring me! Holidays and finals and winter break have led to a little weight gain. I generally eat healthy stuff. It’s the snacking and sitting that are working their magic on my waistline and derriere.

My goal is to drop 10 lbs and replace my cheese doodles with healthier alternatives.

7 Likes

I’m down 7 lbs since mid Nov. Doing this program of strength and cardio – alternating days – and I’m half way through week 3 (stretched a week to be 8 days as I always need an extra day in there somewhere). Working on getting the workouts in when I am NOT travelling for work. My problem in the past has been once I miss like 3 workouts I basically quit for another week or two. Sticking with the program even if I add an extra rest day – and really an extra rest day is sometimes exactly what is needed. I am getting stronger, fitter, and lighter. I got 10 lbs to go to get down to 190 - a weight I haven’t seen in a decade at least.

3 Likes

Baby carrots do it for me. All the crunch of a chip with none of the guilt

4 Likes

1000x yes!!! Caffeine withdrawal is awful, so much so that the primary boost you get from having some is almost all thanks to eliminating withdrawal symptoms. It’s a horrible horrible drug. That I need. Like right now.

4 Likes

There is a reason I limit myself to ONE cup of regular coffee a day.

1 Like

Why give up caffeine?

COFFEE!!!

5 Likes

Because my blood pressure does not need any more help at this point in my life… really. Did you miss the reason for the doctor visit I posted above? I am taking 2 pills and it is down to high normal/mild pre hypertension levels when checked.

2 Likes

Sorry. Yeah I did skip that post. I was thread jumping and didn’t read it. I dread the day I get similar news from a doctor. (It’s probably going to happen sooner than later.)

2 Likes

Well on the plus side when I originally went caffeine free it also got me off of drinking sugar filled carbonated stuff every day too. While I have since fallen off that wagon I do seriously pay attention to how much I have a day and have maybe one or two sodas a month now. It is amazing how sweet they taste when you don’t have them every day.

1 Like

I had a similar response when I weaned myself off of salt. It’s amazing how salty a lot of food is in this country. Caffeine will be a bear if I have to give it up. I’m one of those, throw 2 shots of espresso in my black coffee folks. It’s literally just the caffeine.

3 Likes

I think he means he’s not going to slouch any more?

See, that’s what I thought, too, at first, but he says that he’s 5’ 11" when not slouching, and his goal is to be 6’ 2".

I’ll admit the possibility of a typo reversing his meaning, but by just what he said, “not slouching anymore” can’t make him stand 6’ 2" because he’s only 5’ 11” when he’s not slouching.

1 Like

For some reason my brain did not register the not… LANGUAGE IS HAAAARRRDDDD!!!

5 Likes

Some previous posters have suggested that daily weighings are not a good idea when one is trying to lose weight. I would argue the opposite. Daily weighings are step 1A. Weigh yourself every single day and ideally do it at the same time every single day and record it in a spreadsheet. I have been doing this since 2003, and this habit has been the foundation for both my weight loss (190 lbs to 160) and its maintenance. How else will you learn which dietary changes or exercise changes are working?

Why on earth would this not be the FIRST behavior change if the goal is to lose weight? Why are you afraid of data? Data are your friend. Daily weighing is the easiest habit to maintain-- much easier than dietary modification or exercise. Sure, your weight will spike and trough. Sometimes you will do intense exercise and discover that the next day you weigh more. Sometimes you will do no exercise but sleep very well and wake up to discover you lost weight. Etc. The bottom line is that you require feedback to determine what is working for you. The more the better. Those arguing for once per week weighings are cowards. More data better, every single time. Learn your body, what works, what does not.

1 Like