New York City renamed as "Jewtropolis" in Snapchat maps

How about we move onto not hating anyone? Except for racists and other bigots?

3 Likes

Good point BoingBoing! Also, is my baby a money pit? I have to know! https://screenshotscdn.firefoxusercontent.com/images/0ef20abb-197a-43aa-b127-09e5ded7fb43.png

So, that’s the thing with a lot of technology, there’s just not a reasonable way to do this differently. Snapchat isn’t in the business of cartography. It’s just not possible for a company like them to implement a mapping feature with out using a 3rd party data set, and validating that data set is a huge task. I just don’t think that’s a valid criticism.

Now you could criticize them for there choice in vendors. This specific problem wouldn’t have existed with any of the big name proprietary mapping sources. However, I think that comes with a huge deficit of timeliness, and completeness compared to OSM. Yes crowd sourced data has it’s downsides in being vulnerable to malicious behavior, but OSM often contains map data that most of the commercial map companies don’t have, especially in rural areas. It also often reflects regional changes much faster any other source.

It hardly matters when this extremely easy tip will save you hundreds each year!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.