New York Times, CNN and other media barred from White House press event

Banning outlets may be new but regulating access to information to force compliance isn’t.

There is an excellent article from Salon about this and related topics:

It adresses a few structural problems with the US media that showed during the Iraq war and are still relevant to the “Trump situation”.

Then there was the whole issue with the “embedded” reporters by various networks.

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1081180x05286041
(Study by R. Entman, read a longer abstract somewhere, can’t find it any longer)

8 Likes

Just another example of how dependent the system is on the President acting according to convention.

Still, I’m sure Ryan and McConnell will condemn this attack on the free press anyway, and this’ll all be sorted.

6 Likes

Fuck McCain. He goes and talks a big game but when the rubber his the road he follows the rest of the party. He has a long history of being outspoken with zero action to back it up.

33 Likes

“They always bring up the first amendment.”

That will be written on the gravestone of your political career, you arrogant shit.

20 Likes

Given that free speech includes money they should really sit down and think about what they’re implying when they start attacking the 1st amendment…

2 Likes

This is a big part of why we are completely, utterly fucked. Too much of the institutions of governance are a hodgepodge of agreements, interpretations of parliamentary rules that can easily be altered by a party in power, and conventions that were assumed would alway be followed (like releasing tax returns).

15 Likes

More time to meet with secret leakers.

4 Likes

I’m not entirely sure red is his color.

(I’d normally let that slide, but I needed the laugh after this news…)

21 Likes

I don’t think it’s helpful to normalize Trump’s action by pretending it’s comparable to what other administrations have done.

15 Likes

M-O-O-N-I-E-S, that spells Washington Times.

1 Like

5 Likes

From Nov:

In an essay this weekend in the New York Review of Books, journalist Masha Gessen, who has reported extensively from Russia, argued that Trump doesn’t need to prosecute reporters to neuter them. She wrote:

The national press is likely to be among the first institutional victims of Trumpism. There is no law that requires the presidential administration to hold daily briefings, none that guarantees media access to the White House. Many journalists may soon face a dilemma long familiar to those of us who have worked under autocracies: fall in line or forfeit access. There is no good solution (even if there is a right answer), for journalism is difficult and sometimes impossible without access to information.

14 Likes

Not ALL Jeffrey Combs… es!

9 Likes

36 Likes

I agree with what he said, though. I’m not putting him on any pedestal. He did say something. I would encourage him to continue to. It may only be words, but it’s more than we are hearing from the rest of the boot-licking GOP.

1 Like
2 Likes

*chuckle

(I won’t edit it, then)

1 Like
21 Likes

So the line basically is “we didn’t block them from coming, they just couldn’t come because they weren’t among the ones we invited”.

That’s the kind of explanation I’d expect from a teen trying to keep the “unpopular” kids out of a party.

22 Likes

I went and followed all of the barred media sources listed (even BuzzFeed). Hopefully it helps send a message that barring sources will just increase their readership.

if only there was a name for this rebound effect… /s :wink:

8 Likes