New York Times: Navy pilots reported a rash of strange UFO encounters

And appears on the radar of two different aircraft at the same time per the video. I agree, definitely not an artifact.

The video looks like it was taken with an ATFLIR system, and shows an Air-to-air look down acquisition. The pilot is using the radar to assist the tracking algorithm of the video-based system. Couldn’t do that if it was just noise or a processing artifact.

9 Likes

Illegal aliens?? Gasp.

1 Like

I come in peace. Mostly.

15 Likes

There are a bunch of reactions I see people having to these reports, they mostly seem to be on a spectrum from “space aliens, lets break out the champagne” to “clearly dust on the lens, nothing to see here, stop feeding the trolls”.

I want this to be fascinating, damn it! Even if all it is, is a video mirage caused by unfamiliar naval technology, theres a chance to learn something new. Thats an opportunity not to be casually discarded.

There was a time when meteorites were considered fringe science, when plate tectonics was as thoroughly debunked as phrenology is today. Wouldnt it be cool to learn something new about world?

And when I look at this way, those who insist its extraterrestrials are no more and no less annoying than those who insist its weather balloons or a trick of the light. Both types of rationalizations serve the exact same purpose, to extinguish ambiguity.

Theres obviously money to burn, as long as military contractors are involved. Why not build a bunch of drones designed to tag-team these anomolies for as long as they can be tracked? If a drone were to crash into one of these, that would at least offer up the chance of more data, without having to notify next of kin for our pilots.

I used to think of curiosity as an emotion that America excelled in embracing. Sure wish someone could bring that feeling back!

11 Likes

So what’s his deal? UFO Nut?

I figure anything able to get here, would be able to observe here with out being observed.

Still, I’d like to know what we are looking at. It is really impossible to judge speed and size for ME in the videos. Like the white dot - could it be a diving or fast gliding sea bird? Or is the recorded speed way too fast for that. What about like a Russian or Chinese drone project?

I remember watching a documentary of the F-117, and about how a pilots first flight i one of those things was at night and radio silence.

Unless all your ancestors kept to sub-Sahara Africa, you very most likely are. A fact I gleefully point out to the “purity of race” people.

5 Likes

Hybrid vigor trump’s purity of race. Also - no hip dysplasia.

4 Likes

I think it’s more likely that we are under observation to see if we make it past the coming bottleneck of climate change; a test, if you will, and no assisstance will be rendered. But then, I cut my teeth on that type of science fiction.

5 Likes

Whatever you do, do not ask to be taken to our leader.

24 Likes

Invisible_plane

27 Likes

Perhaps I can give him a peak into the Orb of Wisdom?

3 Likes

There are a couple of clues in the latter half of the video. The scene is one degree across, and there is no zoom applied. When the target is acquired the range is displayed (nautical miles) at the right. The object is about 3% of the field of view when the range is 4.0 nautical miles. By my math, the object is about 3 meters across, at most (please check math)

I thought about whether this could be a sea bird but ruled it out when the pilot said it was flying into a 120kt headwind, but upon checking the video that only applies to the first half of the video. There are a few seabirds that have 3-meter wingspans.

4 Likes

Looks like it’s on radar, too, so not just a video mirage. Radar is active, so there must be something there to reflect it.

2 Likes

Too late:

18 Likes

Yes, I know this is about something else, but UFO sightings are UFO sightings. And this is a cool one.

5 Likes

tumblr_na0d39zvC41rx2yzlo1_400

16 Likes

So you’re saying there’s a chance!

And

That voice-over means real!

It’s not really behaving like a drone, though - too fast, no heat (i.e. no engines), staying in the air all day (in the sense that every time they look for it, there it is), invisible, etc.

Well, first of all, the “objects” only started showing up when they changed the sensors on the planes. Second, they initially only showed up on radar but were otherwise invisible. Eventually someone started “seeing” them on their infrared camera, but not by eye or other cameras, where they still remained mysteriously invisible. (Eventually someone claimed to have seen one, with their eyes, briefly, but the description doesn’t match what was seen on the infrared camera.)

This sounds an awful lot like what’s happened in previous “UFO” cases - someone sees a radar glitch and goes to check it out. Once there, primed to see something, they inevitably do, even if there’s nothing to see. They end up mistaking something innocuous like the planet Venus or some reflected light for an aircraft. (Which seems to move impossibly fast because they’re mistaking it for something at a particular range, where it isn’t.) You’d think pilots would be able to distinguish things they see on a regular basis, but the brain doesn’t work like that. (In at least one documented case, a pilot was convinced they were being followed… by the fucking Moon.) In this case, the “object” is oval shaped like, say, a drop of water or small out-of-focus bit of debris or light leak inside a camera (whose shifting could easily be interpreted as “spinning”).

So… yeah. I’d really like to think it was some super-tech drone, flying saucer, or weird physical phenomenon that will expand our understanding of the natural world. (Fingers crossed that one of those is true!) But, based on past events and inconsistencies in these accounts, most likely it’s sensor flaws that took on significance because pilots were expecting to find something.

Sadly, possibly not. If it’s a mirage caused by a flaw in the system, we’d learn two things: to keep dust or condensation (or whatever) out of cameras, and that people see things when they’re primed to do so. Sadly, neither of those bits of knowledge is new. This is why, after a lifetime of following UFO stories, I find most of them incredibly disappointing. Collectively they’ve already told us quite a lot about human perception and self-delusion, a few uncovered some interesting natural phenomena, some told us about human psychology, fantasy lives, fraud, etc. but most just reminded us how bad we are at accurately perceiving what’s around us.

When it comes to sightings of UFOs or cryptids, I always think of an incident reported by some biologists who were in a region where people believed in mermaids but there were also dugongs in the local waters. One day a fisherman comes to the village, excited - he was just out nearby and he’s seen a mermaid! The biologists, skeptical, ask if it wasn’t, perhaps, a dugong. No, he says, he knows what a damn dugong looks like, this was definitely no dugong, this was a mermaid, and moreover he can prove it. So he takes them out to see it and, of course, it’s a fucking dugong. Not even a weird one or anything. A regular dugong, that, due to whatever circumstances when he initially saw it, seemed like something amazing.

5 Likes

The second one is clearly a Tie Fighter.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen him in years. But even a decade back the innernets was a population control scheme run by the secret alien government alliance deep state. So I’m sure he’s blaming dis-information agent David Ike for 23&me.

I mean this is a guy who showed us an empty ball jar and pointed to the fact that it was empty as proof. Gave a long story about he personally put a miscarried hybrid fetus in the jar. But one day, before he could show it to anyone or have it tested or photograph it. The jar was just magically empty. And if he was lying there would be something in the jar, but there’s nothing in the jar so he can’t be lying!

6 Likes

The best proof is no proof!

2 Likes