New York Times: Navy pilots reported a rash of strange UFO encounters

The best proof is this picture of a guy in a canoe! He’s in a canoe! HYBRID.

This comes up rather a lot with UFO’s. But less glitch than radar working the way its supposed to. There are all sorts of atmospheric effects that can pop up on radar. And radar being what it is, they don’t really show up any different than an actual object. So often times with these radar tracks a UFO that’s invisible to the naked eye, or can’t be captured on regular cameras things the radar is working properly. And there is something there to be detected. Its just not a physical object. Many of those atmospheric phenomenon create or are associated with specific cloud formations, or visual mirages that often don’t record on normal cameras. So there is sometimes something for the people to see to go along with the radar signal. And things like thermal inclines, or hot air updrafts record on thermal but are invisible to the naked eye.

Which leads to one of the more interesting things I learned from Jacobs. We actually have a lot of these, with a lot of detailed data from various sorts of radar, sonar and other sensors out there for military or scientific purposes. And quite often those signals match up directly with visual sightings. Which is cool cause it objectively confirms that people saw something, even as it gives no indication as to what (unless you’re a meteorologist, they can typically easily identify the specific atmospheric weird its just noone ever asks them). But in all of that data we’ve never tracked a UFO entering our atmosphere. Even those famous NASA astronaut sightings from space always occur facing the earth, and involve the phenomenon moving up from the surface, into the upper atmosphere then back down to the earth. We’ve never had a confirmable observation of a supposed object arriving from outside the earth, or leaving the earth. And there are only one or two such example where the “object” is even outside the atmosphere at all. Every indication is that such things are entirely an earth bound phenomenon, which should give a pretty good indication to what sort of thing they are.

Its probably one of the best bits of “it can’t be aliens” evidence I’ve ever heard. On the order of those ecological studies showing there just isn’t enough food to support a breeding population of Sasquatches in the places Sasquatches supposedly live. Just simple, undeniable plot holes in the whole thing.

Of course attempting to account for that has lead to Unidentified Submersible Objects, trans-dimensional portals in the Australian Outback, and Nazi underwater bases in Antarctica. Its also very tied to the hollow earth theory.

5 Likes

What flavour is it?

2 Likes

2hp1h1

11 Likes

Or…
InsidiousWhiteHumpbackwhale-size_restricted

5 Likes

same flaw on two different planes, looking from different angles, manifesting as the same image. Nope.

1 Like

Crappy software, processing different sensor inputs into the same readout. Same software revision on several planes. Possible.

2 Likes

Checked the math, and it came to nearly 4 meters, but yeah. :+1:

2 Likes

1 Like

Sigh*****

This is old news. Mysterious fuzzy object photos? What is this, the 1950s?

1 Like

Memorial Day is an odd day for me to see this post. My father was an Air Force pilot with well more than 10,000 hours of flight time. If you have ever known a military pilot well, you will know they do not see things that are not there. However, they wil ignore data that does not facilitate them getting home.

(1995 - Yes dad, I am a lesbian… ~wiping tears away~ … Sure, I’ll still be home for Christmas… ) 25 years later I am still wiping tears away…

If a Navy pilot saw it, it happened. Intrepret it how you like, but do not abandon the data.

4 Likes

gimbalMetabunkSmall

have fun.

4 Likes

that makes sense

The report says this is happening daily over a long period. If it is a glitch in the new sensor the military would want to debug it. If it were an enemy drone the military would want to obtain it. If it was a US drone why would you keep sending them up and why would you release any information on the sightings? If it were an alien spacecraft … wouldn’t spending more time pursuing it be worth whatever it costs since having that capability makes the US immune against other nations and not having it leaves us exposed? Personally I fantasize its us from the future guaranteeing that nuclear war does not occur. For proof I point to the fact that nuclear war has not yet occurred when the Earth is run by idiots.

4 Likes

I honestly don’t know if he’s sincere or not, but he’s been working the press for a year and a half now, and this latest stuff just happens to coincide with the launch of his new TV show.

I-want-to-believe as much as the next dork who grew up with the X-Files and was puzzled by the way Gillian Anderson made her feel, but this isn’t The Lone Gunmen, it’s The Men Who Stare at Goats.

Four words: Secret military drone testing.

Of note: “UFO” does NOT mean “alien”; it merely means the flying object is unidentified. It’s highly unlikely these are alien craft, but it’s also highly unlikely there was nothing there/it was a complete figment of the imagination/faulty sensors.

In the past with such situations its been seen as beneficial for the military to foster speculation since the more unbelievable claims both crowd out more legitimate reporting and fundementally undermine its credibility.

The most famous example is probably Rosewell. Which is pretty well confirmed as a Project Mogul spy balloon. What’s less remembered is that the broad strokes of Project Mogul, including the name and the connection to the Roswell crash had already be reported by regional papers at the time. By providing the vague weather balloon explaination, and basically letting flying saucers hang out there unchallenged the mogul info never really entered the mainstream discussion of Roswell until the program was declassified in then 90’s. And the Roswell crash itself stayed little known, and largely dismissed by UFO people until more conspiracy minded “researchers” started pushing it in the 80’s. So there was little interest for anyone to dig into it and run across the Mogul info.

And that happens a lot. When we have all these sightings and secret military UFO bases and what have there’s often parallel reporting in places like aircraft enthusiast press that very accurately covers classified aircraft, appearing at the same times in the same places. The whole Jane’s Aircraft, Pop Sci set were accurately reporting on stealth aircraft, experimental engines and early drones. Many of them since publickly acknowledged. At around the same time as Area 51 and secret UFO test flights were capturing the zeitgeist. And the locations of such places were almost always the known or suspected testing and development grounds for said covert aircraft.

1 Like

Or rather, the same flaw in the same (new) sensor/software package, manifesting in the same generic way (a blob), which would be independent of angle. Let’s remember: this wasn’t a consistent effect, either. A bunch of planes pointed cameras where they expected to see something, and only a few eventually did. A lot of planes “saw” something on radar but not on camera (dismissing it as a radar glitch), and none saw anything on non-infrared cameras. So unless this object is always invisible to visible light and usually invisible to infrared as well… and this was an object which was supposed to be the size of a commercial airliner and going from a standing start to 5000 mph.

I’m not saying it’s definitely not something real, I’m just saying that, whatever it is, it isn’t a drone (not with those readings, and if the readings are wrong…) and, balance of probabilities, there’s an obvious answer (which has turned out to be the solution in plenty of other cases). Boring, I know.

I should have said perhaps “artefact”? In the sense that military radar is intended and designed to spot aircraft/missiles and filter out other results, but still manages to detect (and present identically to aircraft/missiles) weather effects, birds, the Moon and, sometimes, hardware and software bugs. Which leads to situations where a pocket of different-temperature air gets treated like an aircraft where it shouldn’t be and the rising Moon almost starts a nuclear war.

1 Like

yeah, until you realize that “23” was the project code for “Mac”

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say its boring. Even if its an “artifact” of a fairly conventional airplane, they are detecting something that should not be flying unidentified in that airspace.

1 Like

Well, my point was it’s boring because, in all likelihood, it’s not actually something “flying” in that space at all. If it’s an artefact, it’s an artefact of the sensors doing the detecting.