New Zealand Prime Minister shuts down Covid denier: “Sorry sunshine, wrong place”

6 Likes

I wish this would happen more often. Being laughed out of the room is much better than maintaining “civility” in the face of absolute nonsense. Sure that guy will become more radicalized by the experience, but at least their ideas won’t be treated respectfully and survive to pass on to other people. It should be embarrassing to believe this horseshit.

12 Likes

You don’t think the circuses are going to keep holding people’s attention?

2 Likes

Not without the bread, no.

A hungry mob is an angry mob...

8 Likes

“Sunshine” is generally a term of endearment, but can also be used to “put someone in their place”.
Context, you know.

2 Likes

Gee Ya THINK

15 Likes
3 Likes

It’s been an expression of polite contempt^ for quite a while which, coincidentally, does make it a bit of boomer jargon. But that’s no reason it can’t be claimed/reclaimed.

^ and, possibly weirdly, it can also be an expression of genuine affection. (c.f. “mate” - either something you’d say to genuine friend, or to someone you can’t stand as a passive aggressive way of avoiding open violence.)

6 Likes

Yeah! MAGA!!!

Ok, um… probably wrong slogan.

The problem is that people don’t agree on what the idealized America is.

There are a lot of red hats who believe that it should be lily white, and that anyone with a bit of melanin should stop being “uppity” and insisting that they not be routinely shot by police.

Then there are people (read “evil communist libruls”) that want to see a kinder more egalitarian society.

and never the twain shall meet…

1 Like

Was just thinking the same.

I’ve got some bad news for you Sunshine,
Pink isn’t well, he stayed back at the hotel.
And they sent us along, as a surrogate band,
Tonight we’ll find out where you fans really stand!

Are there COVID deniers,
In the theater tonight?
Get them up against the wall
– against, the, wall
There’s one in the spotlight.
Looks like a s’perspreader to me!
Get him up against the wall
– against, the, wall

And that one’s ammosexual,
And that one’s Q’Anon!
Who let all this riff-raff into the room!
There’s one in a MAGA hat!
And one on a racist rant!

If I had my way, I’d make you all wear a mask!

(My apologies to Pink Floyd, and everyone else who read this)

6 Likes

16 Likes

Oh well done. Going to have that song in my head for the whole afternoon.

2 Likes

Except New Zealand doesn’t really have any. They’re fresh out. I mean, there’s maybe a handful in the whole country. There isn’t a COVID ward.

8 Likes

Bonus points for citing Langston Hughes; my favorite poet.

7 Likes

You’re lookin’ pretty good yourself.
What’re you up to later?

3 Likes

Winston Peters has been in politics since 1979, and has seen it all.
He’s an old-fashioned sort of bloke, but nobody’s fool and loves the cut and thrust of debate.
I met him 25 years ago, at 2 in the morning in dive bar in Auckland. He bludged fags* off everyone and paid for his drinks with a constant stream of dirty jokes.
It was a hugely entertaining night, but he’s going to lose his seat on Saturday.

• “Borrowed” Cigarettes from people.
7 Likes

The only problem with suggesting to take him to the Covid Ward is there are currently no infected people in hospital in New Zealand. It’s sure to change, but NZ is doing pretty good for now.

6 Likes

NOW?? Why do you think every travel guide suggests pretending you’re Canadian while traveling abroad? :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Canadians are so polite and non-confrontational.

3 Likes