Newly-elected Qanon congresswoman complains about mask rules

“Hurr durr I bet you’re anti choice now! Gotcha!” [college freshman republican mic drop]

Never mind that they just compared a human life to a virus, shutting down the pro life argument. Or that they don’t understand how masks work, so much so that they are advocating for other people’s right to infect random people who didn’t ask for it. Or that it’s a completely specious comparison that actually doesn’t merit any discussion at all, like comparing a blanket to a car crash.

18 Likes

We in georgia do wear masks. Its not a monolithic law but there is not a plague of barefaced backwards plague rats running around here. Even gamestop requires masks. A store usually posted by teenagers has the practice down pact. This lady can stop spreading lies and stop spreading the virus if shed pay attention to her state.

44 Likes

I’m not impressed with their “cleverness.” It’s so formulaic you can predict their perversions of other slogans should the need arise. “All lives matter” was just a step above “your mom’s life matters.”

7 Likes

That damn well better cover women’s reproductive rights in that quaint little statement. Kids these days…

1 Like

Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a winner.

6 Likes

You don’t have to be impressed. It works with her people and makes them happy, and it undermines a “librul” talking point and turns it into a mocking point. Never mind that it’s nonsensical or stupid or misses the point. The point is always to undermine progressive views and phrases. The GOP does this FAR better than the Dems ever have.

5 Likes

How dare you try to apply logic and common sense to the ramblings of a self-absorbed fool who just wants to act like an obnoxious twit for the fun of it!

1 Like

If our government was functioning properly, the House would just refuse to seat her - that is their right.

6 Likes

They probably won’t seat her. I doubt she cares. I think her whole run was just about grifting conservatives. I picture her pulling a Rand/Ron Paul and doing absolutely nothing of value in Congress. Just soaking up benefits like a glorified “welfare queen”.

16 Likes

I’m seeing this among some right-wing anti-maskers. I can’t tell if it’s being done intentionally to “trigger the libs,” if it’s completely ignorant of how it’s used by pro-choice people, or if it’s intentional to rob the phrase of its pro-choice meaning.

11 Likes

They think that by co-opting the phrase, they are pointing out the hypocrisy of liberals who are willing to allow people to choose not to be pregnant but want to restrict people from spreading serious illness.

9 Likes

I wish I was there to state her choices:

1. wear a mask
3 Likes

Welcome to bOINGbOING BBS!

6 Likes

The only thing she pays attention to is exactly what will get her elected, and not a single thing more. And when the voting majority in GA wants to hear something, she’ll just say it, and get elected.
Especially when your party has an 80% majority in your district or state. It’s sad, but it is what it is.

1 Like

Yeah no she explicitly promised the opposite. Which makes her little “joke” all the more gross.

14 Likes

It’s hard to keep up with the latest breadcrumbs from Q if you’re having to do all that boring work on behalf of your constituents.

4 Likes

Intentional, I’m sure. Here in Toronto we are seeing anti-mask protests with signs like “Hugs not masks”, intended to echo some warm and fuzzy slogan the right imagines hippies saying.

The irony is that the pro-choice meaning isn’t going away, so this is a self-own for progressives to exploit.

If Republicans cared.

If logic was not dead.

6 Likes

Oh, please… STFU.

What’s really fucking irritating about her is that she’s most likely just “virtue signaling” to her far right constituents/supporters.

Given the district she represents, I can see there being a large enough swath of QAnon assholes who regularly refuse to wear them, especially outside of Rome.

But yeah, most of us here aren’t assholes.

12 Likes

The same thing happened to the phrase, “I’m not politically correct.” Started out in academia as a way to dodge intellectual litmus tests. Later got co-opted by Conservatives, and became the political litmus test: “You are being politically correct.”

History repeats.

2 Likes

Masks are a lot more like condoms than they are like abortions.

18 Likes