"Qanon Karen" who destroyed mask display at Target and lost her business is now very sorry

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/03/11/qanon-karen-who-destroyed-mask-display-at-target-and-lost-her-business-is-now-very-sorry.html

13 Likes

No sympathy.

62 Likes

I wonder how much of what she said was actually penned by her legal counsel.

66 Likes

i also have no Sympathy. but? i do hope she has actually found the help she needs. the world can use more ex-Qnon’s…

65 Likes

Only sorry now because she’s broke now. She thought the Qanon angle would lead to “no publicity is bad publicity”… unless you’re a Trump supporter. No good to be found in that condition, recovered or not.

22 Likes

I wasn’t concerned for her before but this non-pology also includes one of my pet peeves. “Trauma” has a meaning beyond being upset about things. Even when things are legitimately devastating or shocking, that doesn’t necessarily make them traumatic. Even if something affects you for a long time, it’s not necessarily traumatic. It’s just above “triggered” in my list of words I wish people would re-examine.

29 Likes

Dear god that entire news piece is a pile of shit. I’m assuming this news station has never run anything remotely similar for someone who got caught shoplifting food from a Target to stay alive.

33 Likes

I don’t know if I have sympathy for this woman or not because I do not know her or enough about her. But in a bigger-picture sense, I do feel strongly that we have to have a world in which people can realize how fucked up they had been and want to make amends for it. Sift through the bullshitty, non-earnest ones? Yes. But exclude anyone from coming to their senses and repenting? That is a sad ugly world I want no part of.

37 Likes

She’s definitely free to repent and be forgiven but a news station giving her a leg up with free promotion to scrub her image clean is a bit much for me.

58 Likes

I agree.

8 Likes

Yeah, I lost my suspension of disbelief as soon as I saw “I was cancelled”. This is just another whiney self obsessed republican who’se only regret is that she got caught. “Cancelled” is not a thing, it’s just right-wingnut codespeak for “had to face consequences for being an ass and now I want people to feel sorry for me and let me go back to being an ass without consequences”.

96 Likes

You said it, not me!

ETA: /s just in case.

10 Likes

No. :grin: :grin: :laughing: :rofl:

2 Likes

The Qanon business is not just Republican++, there is something really special there and I think regarding her as a victim who got roped into a cult could be reasonable.

What seems to me is that if you imagine a path forward for someone (which needs to exist!) consisting of 1 Self work, 2 Restoration of harm you put into the world, and lastly 3 Rehabilitating your own imagine, the most charitable take is that she may have made sincere effort at 1 but is trying to gloss over 2 by simply mouthing an apology. A sincere effort at 1 is not something I hear a lot Qanon types doing, so if it is actually so, that would be great! Skipping past 2, nooooooot so much.

Oh yeah, whoops. I agree, there is probably nothing at all sincere about this.

17 Likes

27 Likes

The moment I read “I was cancelled,” my benefit of the doubt evaporated.

That is a tell that she isn’t at all sorry. If she were, she’d understand that everything that happened to her was an inevitable and predictable consequence of her actions. Instead, she was “cancelled,” which is code for “I was punished for believing something the libs don’t like.”

May she continue to experience the consequences of her actions until she truly understands her mistake and sincerely atones for her actions.

45 Likes

If your apology is half written in the passive voice, chances are you’re not really apologizing. If your apology includes a complaint about the consequences you have borne for your actions, it might not be an apology. If your apology seeks to cast blame on other people, it might not be an apology.

56 Likes

And may we also be spared from having it reported when/if she does.

6 Likes

No prizes if it comes out she’s a friend of somebody at the station…

11 Likes

Yeah I agree re Qanon being not that simple. I realized that in reading quite a few accounts over the past few months of people who had voted for Obama and then got sucked into Qanon more recently. So I think there are true believers, and it’s more complicated (and a mental health issue for many), and then there are the cynical ones tagging along knowing it is BS. I am actually more worried about the latter group.

5 Likes