Newt Gingrich admits Trump lied about taping Comey

So only professional politicians know that witness intimidation is a grave crime? SMH

4 Likes

He says he has no idea, which means nobody told him and he didnā€™t ask.

1 Like

Between Gingrichā€™s claim (signaling ā€˜no tapesā€™), Trumpā€™s cautiously worded tweets (see below and read carefully), and the investigationā€™s request for the alleged tapes, I have a sinking feeling that there may have been tapesā€¦ now disappeared. (Taping Comey would have made sense in Trumpā€™s world; depending on what was said, it could otherwise have been held over Comey if he had been caught doing some deal.)

http://www.npr.org/2017/06/22/533965746/trump-i-did-not-make-and-do-not-have-recordings-of-comey

9 Likes

May I say that, although I donā€™t approve of memes as the most valid form of argument, I always enjoy yours. Keep up the good work.

2 Likes

Trump did not actually say that he had tapes. He tweeted "James Comey better hope that there are no ā€˜tapesā€™ of our conversations before he starts leaking to the press!"
That is an annoyingly taunting and unprofessional statement, but it is not a claim that he had tapes. And later, when asked if such tapes existed, he answered ā€œYouā€™ll be finding out soon, and youā€™ll be disappointed in the answer!ā€.
Once again, that is an annoying thing to say. I suppose it is untrue if the reporter is not disappointed in the answer.

Politics 101:
My guy did it, so itā€™s OK, but if your guy did it, it wouldnā€™t be.

2 Likes

Roger That!

So Trump had tapes that revealed that Comey was telling the truth? Why would he refer to them or threaten to release them?

Are all attempts to treat Trump like a regular, thinking human pointless?

3 Likes

It would also explain why his lawyer needs a lawyer. If his lawyer found out about tapes, reviewed them, found they incriminated Trump, then the tapes were made to disappear, yeah, itā€™s time for lawyer squared.

3 Likes

Guessing that once they got rid of any trace that there had been recording in the Oval Office in respect to Muellerā€™s investigation, they then felt the need to declare to the public that there were no recordings.

So Trump had tapes that revealed that Comey was telling the truth?

JUST A POSSIBILTY THAT Iā€™VE CONSIDERED.

Why would he refer to them or threaten to release them?

BECAUSE THAT WAS HIS KNEE-JERK SCHOOL YARD COMEBACK TO A BAD SITUATION; AS A TREAT FOR HIS MINDLESS MINIONS; BECAUSE SAID MINIONS (AND STOOGE CONGRESSMEN) DONā€™T CARE ABOUT RELEASING TAX RETURNS, SO WHY SHOULD THEY CARE ABOUT RELEASING TAPES?

Are all attempts to treat Trump like a regular, thinking human pointless?

BIG FAT HAIRY YES.

3 Likes

You canā€™t believe them when they say there arenā€™t any tapes, either.

Youā€™re not dealing with people who ā€˜lieā€™ or ā€˜tell the truthā€™, Trump and Gingrich just say whatever they want to be true right this minute, and at least in Trumpā€™s case Iā€™m pretty sure he even believes whatever bullshit heā€™s saying right this second.

5 Likes

A professional politician would know not to try to bluff James Comey.

3 Likes

I am bored with this clown already. Can we ditch him and move on to the inevitable horror of President Pence now?

In for a Pence, in for even worse pounding? I do hope youā€™re bluffing. You donā€™t want that.

However, I assume that Trump would rather have a stroke than an impeachment during his first term.

1 Like
  1. He said he personally had no knowledge of any tapes and did not personally make any recordings. That should be enough to squeak by with some plausible deniability.

2. Why the month-and-a-half wait for a statement? Did it take that long to play through all the options and decide this was the best available answer?

2 Likes

Of course I donā€™t want it. But I would rather get the ass in office and impeached as well, and get it over with. The suspense is getting on my nerves.

Then again, I have the advantage of being an expatriate over here in Munich.

1 Like

Well, then you probably noticed the slight shock the election gave to the German public.

Anti-Americanism was a matter for fringe groups until Dubbelyah, and even then was just the exception. Trump might change that, but he will have to put a lot of effort in it before thr German public opinion truly would believe that he is actually representing the USA, as a whole, and its population. Pence, on the other hand, is much more dangerous for domestic US politics, I reckon. International politics of the US would be much calmer, I assume - but also quite problematic.

I would say after the shock wore off, the Germans basically accepted that America is sliding into irrelevancy and decline, and turned their attention more to what China is doing and how to contain Trump. There is a sort of resignation that America is no more. A sort of sadness, really, as post-WWII Germany loooked up to the USA.

2 Likes

I think the only way out of this is to hope Pence is implicated in Trumps investigation and we can remove both of them at the same time.

We cannot allow either of them to be normalized, and Trump is actively dangerous to our country. However as a gay trans woman I sure as shit will not stick around for any length of a Pence presidency.

2 Likes