Nikki Haley says Kamala Harris shouldn’t be President because she is Black

This race calculus is complicated shit, with so many variables and special cases!

science

4 Likes

It would be interesting, if ultimately irrelevant to her potential negative impact; whether she’s more or less purely attempting to distract the audience; or if she’s personally invested in some sort of subcategory dicing fine enough to ensure she’s not at the bottom of it.

It’s not like “High Yellow” and various other subcategorizations aren’t things that people historically got quite invested in.

3 Likes

“I’d just become leader and I’m excited and President Trump’s there. And I look over at the Democrats and they stand up. They look like America, We stand up. We look like the most restrictive country club in America.” --Kevin McCarthy

9 Likes

When asked why a Kamala Harris presidency would send chills down her spine, Nikki Haley says it’s because the first black president in our country “caused division.”
And so that’s why ‘we can’t have another one.’

So by that same argument, the most recent Republican president caused division and so that’s why we can’t have another Republican president. Yes?

16 Likes

12 Likes

Interested to learn that “causing division” is grounds for considering someone unsuitable to be president.

Because if we were to draw up a list of presidents who’ve caused division …

11 Likes

Theres an old white guy in office now and Republicans hate him too. They’re not willing to work with anyone outside the GOP. They wont even work with some people in their own party. “We’ve traced the division, and its coming from inside your own house!”

4 Likes

That doesn’t mean that this shit that Haley said isn’t deeply racist. People can and are awful in intersecting ways.

This comment is racist. Full stop. No need for qualificiation and questioning. Blaming a Black man for causing racist divisions is, in fact, racist.

I really don’t know why some people need this to not be racist? It’s like people can wrap their heads around the idea that racism is a thing that exists outside of KKK rallies.

12 Likes

What a fabulous way to kick off Black History Month.
Bravo Haley! Bravo!

9 Likes

When right wingers talk about Biden’s health I respond with “OK, we will have President Kamala Harris!!!”. That usually changes their attitude. Especially when I remind them they don’t really have an alternative to Trump. (I doubt Haley has the skills or influence to make it out of the primary)

4 Likes

Yeah, afaict it’s the turds that float to the top in SC politics.

4 Likes

It’s “Black History Month,” not “Black People Deserve a Better Future Month.”
/s

6 Likes

Just as GOP leaders intended.

Yeah, this year we get a whole extra day of stories like this one. :weary: On the plus side, Michael Harriot always has great points to make about what causes Haley and some GOP members/supporters to fear Harris and try to blame Obama for their racism:

10 Likes

As always, he’s on point!

4 Likes

i will now use this as an excuse to plug a sci-fi book. ( it’s such a good read )

13 Likes

For the record I thought it was obviously and indisputably racist, so didnt need repeating. My point was that Republicans will deny their obvious racism (and at this point dont care if we call them racist), so it’s worth reminding them and everyone else that even if they get the pass they’re looking for on racism (not that they should) they’re still the cause of this division they cry about. Democrats will work with them, but they refuse to work with Democrats, and that’s somehow the Democrats’ fault.

3 Likes

IMO, since at least the Tea Party, the GOP has been infected with the idea that they’d rather go down with the ship than compromise. So for them, when a Democrat says “I’ll give you this if you give me that,” they can’t accept. Democrats that don’t give them everything they want are “refusing to cooperate” and “trying to destroy our country.”

Republicans that do compromise for the sake of the country get primaried out of office. The only way Republicans get to stay in office is to be useless in office and make scenes at hearings.

7 Likes

Now now, we all know racists have different names to call Sikhs. I’ll refer you to The Major from Fawlty Towers.

But yes, racists gonna racist. Honestly surprised Trump hasn’t come up with some “clever” nickname that emphasises her heritage yet.

3 Likes

He already attempted the old “full name” trick, but he can’t spell (probably can’t pronounce it correctly, either):

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/16/politics/trump-attacks-haley-birth-name/index.html

6 Likes

For the record, that was not at all clear from your post… it came off as an instead rather than an and… This is especially true since plenty of people will try and dismiss obvious racism, so yes, it very much needs to be said, since so many people don’t believe things that are racist are racist.

7 Likes