No matter how cool superblack activated charcoal food looks, it's a bad idea

Given that not even three percent of women in Japan take the pill, I doubt it’s a factor.

3 Likes

It’s a great perk of being off Sertraline that I can have grapefruit again. I love it.

3 Likes
  1. Thanks for taking the time to look up the stat.

2. What is their preferred method of birth control or is the issue…

3. I read some where that the Japanese just aren’t dating and fucking like they used to. Like social norms shifting.

2 Likes

The article I looked up was from 2009 and stated 2.2% of women using the pill. Given that it was just ten years after it was legalized and that eight years passed since, maybe it’s actually over 3% now, I’m not sure. Back then, condoms were the main method, by far. As for social norms, I remember reading things about it, but the details are blurry.

2 Likes

I will be at lunch time!

2 Likes

My assumption has been that activated charcoal is going to absorb some nutrients in whatever food you may have eaten lately, because it’s useful as it’s absorbent, not because it has magical toxins-only absorbing properties. Also, it can give you an upset stomach and/or constipation.

Mmm, yes. I have to make some of that, soon.

Abortion.

4 Likes

That’s a slight exaggeration.

Note: the dose makes the poison.

How much activated charcoal are they using to colour their food?

3 Likes

That is good.

1 Like

Indubitably & Indeed.

2 Likes

Hmm - just made me wonder why we call it birth control when it is conception control. (Whereas abortion might perhaps be described as birth control.)

3 Likes

Granted, I should say condoms/abortion; reliance on abortion has been going down for years and it was a lot more significant before '99, when birth control pills were finally introduced. But it used to be the means of birth control - in the 50s the annual abortion rate was one in twenty for women of childbearing age.

2 Likes

Ah, yes. Grapefruit can ‘deal’ with that pesky birth-control pill … and I’ve got the 19-year-old to prove it… :stuck_out_tongue: Eat a healthy breakfast, they said…

6 Likes

Really? I heard there’s no conclusive study about grapefruit interfering with the action of contraceptives.

Grapefruit does interfere with a wide range of medications, which is well documented. I don’t know specifically about birth control pills though, kinda too lazy to Google it at the moment.

2 Likes

Well your avatar is a doctor so that works for me!!

Bartender! Two whiskeys, neat!

2 Likes

I thought the danger with grapefruit was not that it neutralized meds, but more the opposite, that it overstrengthened/enhanced/amplified some medications in an unpredictable way.

3 Likes

Well the wording that i used was that it interfered with medications, though i should’ve been more specific. Technically what it does is that it inhibits one’s body from breaking down and absorbing/passing the medication, which means that people keep a high dose of the chemical compounds longer. Which can make effects and/or side effects much more intense.

I believe it does negatively impact birth control. I did a quick search and it makes it harder for the body to regulate estrogen, which may not impact the effectiveness of the pill but does heighten the negative side effects exponentially. Including blood clot formation, which no es bueno. The more you learn :o

2 Likes

Egads, looks like I may have come out on the luckier side then. It was my doc who told me (after the positive test, thankyouverymuch for the heads-up…) as we tried to guess at why it had failed. Her thought was that grapefruit and toast for breakfast, just before taking the pill, was the likeliest cause, since I swore up and down that I had’t been late or missed any pills… shrug Best unforeseen result I’ve ever had, IMO. :smiley:

3 Likes

My wife had grapefruit once while taking the pill as well and it did throw her cycle off wack because of the hormonal imbalance i would guess. However that’s my personal anecdote, which doesn’t count for much but the reasoning behind it makes sense to me :slight_smile:

1 Like